Recommendations for a salt water trip

Thread: Recommendations for a salt water trip

Default Recommendations for a salt water trip

Hey guys! I'm a freshwater guy, but a buddy of mine has wanted to go out saltwater fishing for a while now, so we're planning a spring trip out to the shore. (He did a bunch of saltwater fishing growing up in Florida) He's got a canoe with a trolling motor, and we're looking to go somewhere fairly shallow, fish for trout, redfish, etc. Anyone have any recommendations as to where we could go? He was checking out Willis Landing, but we don't know anything about the area. Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated! Trying to stay 2/3 hours from the Raleigh area if possible.
    Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I've not used Willis but I have put the kayak in the water at Shell Rock landing before. You can head straight across the intracoastal to a cut in the marsh and have all the marsh fishing you could want. If I wanted to go earlier I'd probably suggest hitting one of the lower neuse or Pamlico river creeks for trout.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    JM76 likes this.

If you are planning to cross the ICW in a canoe be sure and keep an eye out for boats throwing large wakes or for the wind to get up on you esp in the afternoons in the summer. I'd look at Google earth and find some places that look fishey with roads crossing them where you may be able to slide the canoe down the bank. Less big boats to deal with.
    JM76 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Down at the far end of Fort Fisher- ( Buzzards bay ) may be an option- shallow water that warms fast, rock wall holds lots of fish- its not a actual wall- its where it was meant to stop ships entering back in the war days. anyways its VERY noticeable and is a great spot to fish
    JM76 likes this.

Angler Member
    Kayak Angler

Not nitpicking, but the "wall" was an attempt to keep the Cape Fear River from shoaling in to allow cargo ship passage into Wilmington after the New Inlet formed from a hurricane. But yeah, plenty of fishing around there

Teach a man to fish and he'll give away all your good spots.
    Fishin Technician likes this.

Appreciate the suggestions.
    Would rather not have to cross the ICW if I can avoid it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

May suggest pungo creek near Belhaven. Plenty of creek to fish and not many large boats at all. Creek will hold trout and redfish as long as the salinity is ok. Another option may be Dawson Creek off of the Neuse. As with any, watch for the late afternoon wind.
    JM76 likes this.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements