Canoe anchor pulley

Thread: Canoe anchor pulley

Default Canoe anchor pulley

I finally went ahead and installed an anchor pulley on my Discovery 158. Love my canoe, but any kind of wind makes it so tough to fish. I bought an $8 anchor pulley off of Amazon and installed it on the stern. Using one of those YakAttack Sidewinders for the line. Eventually I'd like to get one of those Anchor Wizard cranks but they run about $90. So for now I'll stick with a cleat and the Sidewinder.

I have a 6 pound mushroom anchor but when I tested it yesterday I used a small, 4 pound downrigger anchor. It worked great. Heavy enough to keep me anchored, but I could also drag it around a little when I needed to reposition the boat.

So now I have no excuses to NOT catch fish!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.†

Name:	87163284_555088748427229_3651622074557923328_n.jpg‎†
Views:	157†
Size:	134.9 KB†
ID:	196753Click image for larger version.†

Name:	87180113_2449975135107563_4120703155493142528_n.jpg‎†
Views:	154†
Size:	78.3 KB†
ID:	196755

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Looks like a winner. Did you mount one in the front too? When I fished from my canoe I had anchors at the bow and stern and stored my lines in a simple net bag that I bought at the dollar store. It allowed the lines to dry out.
    ~JOE~
    JM76 likes this.

Solo Dei Gloria

Haven't done the front yet. Figured I would start with the rear and go from there. Trying to keep it as simple as I can so I don't have too much to worry about when I'm out on the water!

Quote Originally Posted by Joetrain View Post
    Looks like a winner. Did you mount one in the front too? When I fished from my canoe I had anchors at the bow and stern and stored my lines in a simple net bag that I bought at the dollar store. It allowed the lines to dry out.
    ~JOE~

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Looks good! Wind is the worst. Looks like your seat is perfectly located to level the canoe out.

The OT 158 is the Abram's tank of canoes. Love to fish out of mine.

I ended up using the longest retractable dog leash I could find to keep line off the floor.

JM76 likes this.

I have installed anchor trolleys on all three boats Iíve owned (two kayaks and a canoe). I had installed an anchor pulley on the back of my last kayak, but found that it could cause problems if the anchor ever became stuck, as there wasnít really a good way to apply pressure directly above the anchor or pull from the sides. I lost an anchor in the Cape Fear River that way and nearly capsized myself attempting to pull free before finally cutting it lose. After that, I went back to using anchor trolleys on both sides of my boats, which are more versatile, in my opinion. They allow you to both anchor (and adjust your position, if you want to point the bow in a certain direction) and you can also attach a drift anchor to them if you want to drift sections of a lake or river, which I have done bottom fishing for catfish and crappie. I also use it sometimes as an attachment point for a stringer, especially if I am paddling a bit and want to keep my fish alive, but out of the way.

Just my $.02, for what itís worth.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    derekp, and JM76 like this.

Looks great! I thought about the dog leash idea, I've seen folks in kayaks use it.

Yep I got that idea for the middle seat from a guy on this forum actually (did I get it from you???). I originally mounted it directly to the gunnel but recently got a seat hanger kit and dropped it down a few inches. SO much better like that IMO, especially when paddling in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by derekp View Post
    Looks good! Wind is the worst. Looks like your seat is perfectly located to level the canoe out.

The OT 158 is the Abram's tank of canoes. Love to fish out of mine.

I ended up using the longest retractable dog leash I could find to keep line off the floor.

derekp likes this.

Yep, I totally hear you, and I've thought about that quite a bit. That's why I no longer use the claw anchors. I got one stuck months ago and had to cut it loose. I was in a large pond (not moving water) but it was still sketchy.

I have a mushroom anchor but I like the downrigger weight better. It might not hold as well but I think it's less susceptible to getting stuck. And I always have a knife handy in case I have to cut the line.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2AYSAE

I also make it a point to not take the canoe out when it's too windy. I'm too old to be risking sh!t like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Pond Pounder View Post
    I have installed anchor trolleys on all three boats I’ve owned (two kayaks and a canoe). I had installed an anchor pulley on the back of my last kayak, but found that it could cause problems if the anchor ever became stuck, as there wasn’t really a good way to apply pressure directly above the anchor or pull from the sides. I lost an anchor in the Cape Fear River that way and nearly capsized myself attempting to pull free before finally cutting it lose. After that, I went back to using anchor trolleys on both sides of my boats, which are more versatile, in my opinion. They allow you to both anchor (and adjust your position, if you want to point the bow in a certain direction) and you can also attach a drift anchor to them if you want to drift sections of a lake or river, which I have done bottom fishing for catfish and crappie. I also use it sometimes as an attachment point for a stringer, especially if I am paddling a bit and want to keep my fish alive, but out of the way.

Just my $.02, for what it’s worth.

Chris

I have been using one of those anchor pulleys for years/..decades.../ always been my saving grace to hold me in a certain spot when the bite was hot and the wind was squirrelly. Easy to deploy and retrieve.... nice setup.
    JM76 likes this.

Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

That's awesome. I've been looking for a solution for a while now, so glad I stumbled on it. Just like fishing (and life I guess!), I'm constantly learning!

And let's not forget about price! $7.48!
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AZ7Z9

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hobbs View Post
    I have been using one of those anchor pulleys for years/..decades.../ always been my saving grace to hold me in a certain spot when the bite was hot and the wind was squirrelly. Easy to deploy and retrieve.... nice setup.

I've heard of people using old window sash weights before,as anchors. Since they are cylindrical and straight, there aren't any edges or protrusions to hang up. I typically use a drag chain,but not sure it thats enough weight to stop you completely

I have used window weights before. They work really well especially on muddy bottoms with lots of snags. Will drop through and pull out of snags fairly easy.
    JM76 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pond Pounder View Post
    I have installed anchor trolleys on all three boats Iíve owned (two kayaks and a canoe). I had installed an anchor pulley on the back of my last kayak, but found that it could cause problems if the anchor ever became stuck, as there wasnít really a good way to apply pressure directly above the anchor or pull from the sides. I lost an anchor in the Cape Fear River that way and nearly capsized myself attempting to pull free before finally cutting it lose. After that, I went back to using anchor trolleys on both sides of my boats, which are more versatile, in my opinion. They allow you to both anchor (and adjust your position, if you want to point the bow in a certain direction) and you can also attach a drift anchor to them if you want to drift sections of a lake or river, which I have done bottom fishing for catfish and crappie. I also use it sometimes as an attachment point for a stringer, especially if I am paddling a bit and want to keep my fish alive, but out of the way.

Just my $.02, for what itís worth.

Chris

Chains work better in rivers than anchors. rarely get stuck. mine never has but i know a few that have but it is rare.
    Mowhawk pack , coleman scanoe, OT 158, 2 OT 119's,
    1232 Jon Boat, Wilderness Systems ATAK 140, Ascend 12T

big enough chain will. plus by drag chain I have extra links 3-6 I caribeaner on at at time depending on current.
    Mowhawk pack , coleman scanoe, OT 158, 2 OT 119's,
    1232 Jon Boat, Wilderness Systems ATAK 140, Ascend 12T

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements