Oak Hollow 2-23-20: Great Afternoon

Thread: Oak Hollow 2-23-20: Great Afternoon

Default Oak Hollow 2-23-20: Great Afternoon

It's time to go fishing!

With the warmer weather a couple days after the cold snap I figured it could be a feast or famine kind of day but it was too nice out not to go. I had gone out 2 weeks ago after the big rain and managed to catch 2 small fish, so I was hoping for more with the clearing water. I got 2 good bites early on a chatterbait but they wouldn't eat it. I kept switching lures and had a KVD 1.5 on and was casting a shallow point. The wind blew my line behind a post and I started burning it to keep from getting hung. I ended up hooking a fish but I though I snagged a carp. Ended up being a 5-10. Sometimes doing the wrong thing works. Just a few minutes later I had a 3-9 grab the crank right at the boat. I thought it was going to be a good crankbait bite but I ended up breaking the bill off it.

Hauled water for a while then caught a 2 lb on a spinnerbait. Kept working that spinnerbait down a bank I like and caught a 3-6. This area was shaded and the water a bit cooler. As I got to the end of the bank on a point the water jumped up a degree and I was thinking there should be one here. Two casts later on cue got a 5-5. That fish acted like it was in 75 degree water, it jumped probably 6-7 times. I only had about 15 min left and ran to another point. Caught a 3-12 right before I had to leave.

Caught 2 on the KVD and the rest on a spinnerbait. Never did catch one on the chatterbait or a jig I pitched some. All the fish were pretty white which tells me they had just moved up to feed. It should only get better from here on.

Fished from 11:00 till 4:35 (4:45 is off the water time). Water was 49-50. Had from 1-1.5 ft of visibility. All the fish were on banks with wind and in less than 5 FOW.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	5-10.jpg‎
Views:	145
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	196757 Click image for larger version.

Name:	5-5.jpg‎
Views:	141
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	196759 Click image for larger version.

Name:	3-13.jpg‎
Views:	148
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	196761 Click image for larger version.

Name:	3-9.jpg‎
Views:	138
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	196763 Click image for larger version.

Name:	3-6.jpg‎
Views:	148
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	196765

Tight lines,
    Andrew

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That's a great day!

Thanks for sharing.
    Bleedingblue likes this.

"I've gotta stop wishin, I've got to go fishin!"

Good job Andrew! Still waiting on that fishing trip...
    Bleedingblue likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

When will they be changing the off water time? Also how much is it to fish and put a boat in? Haven't been there in about 40 years, after seeing these pics I think I may have to take a look!
    Bleedingblue likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry condrey View Post
    Good job Andrew! Still waiting on that fishing trip...
    I haven't forgot about you. We will go. This is the first fishing to amount to anything I have done since last spring.
    Tight lines,
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by meenyt View Post
    When will they be changing the off water time? Also how much is it to fish and put a boat in? Haven't been there in about 40 years, after seeing these pics I think I may have to take a look!
    It's based on daylight hours so it will likely change when we spring forward. I don't know if they post a schedule but you could call the marina. It is $7 to launch.
    meenyt likes this.

Tight lines,
    Andrew

Andrew, you have singlehandedly reversed the 'Dead Sea' moniker I used to give Oak Hollow. You are on fire. Glad you got some really nice fish. Hope you and the boys are well. Don't forget you know where to find me if you find any time to make it down to the panhandle!
    Bleedingblue likes this.

- Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements