Oak Hollow 2-25-20 - February Giant

Thread: Oak Hollow 2-25-20 - February Giant

Default Oak Hollow 2-25-20 - February Giant

Fishing was so good on Sunday I took a day off to see if I could repeat my success. Long story short, it was tough with a capital T. I fished hard for 6 hours with a couple bites and one 12" bass. I had about 20 minutes left to fish and was thinking I had wasted my day off. Then I got a tremendous hit. Ended up being 8.5 lbs and 23.5 inches long. I'll take a 2 fish day anytime I can catch one like that.

I love fishing this time of year. As soon as the water hits 46 degrees I'm looking for the pre-spawners shallow. I caught this fish just 1 day shy of the 2-year anniversary of my PB. My PB, #2, and #4 all time have come from Oak Hollow.

Water was a bit cooler but still saw temps over 50 in some areas. Clarity the same as last time. Fish hit a double willow spinnerbait.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	8-8 (1) 23.5.jpg‎
Views:	160
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	196771 Click image for larger version.

Name:	8-8 (2) 23.5.jpg‎
Views:	172
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	196773 Click image for larger version.

Name:	8-8 (4) 23.5.jpg‎
Views:	171
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	196775

Tight lines,
    Andrew

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I often notice a bunch of guests and only a few members on the site. A suggestion to any non-members looking at this post why don't you join and post your trips? It is a good community and everybody loves a good fish story.
    Tight lines,
    Andrew

It's time. I've had the itch so bad due to high water - I snuck out behind work this evening and caught 2 from shore. 1 on a double bladed (red colorado and gold indiana) spinnerbait, the second on a green pumpkin thunder cricket. both just 2lbers. If we can keep the stain and water levels stable now, i'd be happy and headed to the lake in my yak soon. Nice catch!
    Bleedingblue likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Great job right now from the banks I am lucky to even get a hit from a bream. The heavy rain a few weeks back muddled up the waters so bad. I usually do,best in Jan - mar but this year has been slow since first week of the year
    Bleedingblue likes this.

2020 LMB Total :130; largest 6# 5oz! Total over 4:14; lifetime largest 9.25
    2020 Crappie Total:75 biggest:1.5#

Awesome fish!

Your report is a lesson to everyone, no matter how bad you think the fishing is on a hard day, KEEP FISHING!
    Bleedingblue likes this.

"I've gotta stop wishin, I've got to go fishin!"

Quote Originally Posted by spidey View Post
    Great job right now from the banks I am lucky to even get a hit from a bream. The heavy rain a few weeks back muddled up the waters so bad. I usually do,best in Jan - mar but this year has been slow since first week of the year
    The volatile weather patterns havn't helped either. I had a hunch the warm south breeze yesterday would turn them on a bit - was hoping for sun to peek out, probably would've been even better, but never happened. With the cold front i'm sure it's back to barely a sniff for a few days.....then warm and rain = more mud = then back to a cold snap = frustrating. I will say both fish were within 10' of the bank on the shallow side of the lake, another few weeks and I'll have the kayak hovering over a huge spawning flat out there.
    Bleedingblue likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by slow-1 View Post
    Awesome fish!

Your report is a lesson to everyone, no matter how bad you think the fishing is on a hard day, KEEP FISHING!
    Yep, when I'm discouraged I try to keep thinking that it only takes 1 cast to have a great day. It happened on this day. I seriously considered leaving about 3 times but so glad I stayed.
    greendave41 likes this.

Tight lines,
    Andrew

Beautiful fish, well done!
    Bleedingblue likes this.

I know I've told you the story before, Andrew, but I fished that lake with my dad one time. Once. Early April, we fished 6 hours with nothing at all, and literally the last spot we were going to hit before closing time he gets his crankbait hung on a stump.... that starts swimming off. The man lands a 9.5, his lifetime personal best, and we quit shortly after that.

He never fished that lake again. He said he didn't want to go there and ruin his average - still claims his average fish from Oak Hollow is 9.5 pounds, I tried arguing that's dubious math dividing 1 into 1 and calling it an average when you only have 1 data point but he just laughs and says 'you go right ahead and keep thinking that.'

Oak Hollow has some giants, I'm glad you found one to turn the day from bleh to wow. Congrats!
    Bleedingblue likes this.

- Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements