Inshore Coming back

Thread: Coming back

Default Coming back

After a 3 year tour in Beaufort SC we are coming back to Lejeune. The fishing here has been nothing short of incredible but I have missed the Crystal Coast. Its hard for me to describe but Eastern NC feels like home everytime we come back.

From 2014-2017 we had a Carolina Skiff 218 DLV in Jacksonville. We have had a 22 Bayboat down here.

This might be our last tour so we are done with the big boats and we are going to get a Gheenoe LT25. I think we will be able to get to most of the places inshore that I want to fish there. I know the water so I know the tides, the wind...etc. My kids are too small for the nearshore stuff so I will focus solely inshore in the creeks and marsh.

My question is this...my wife wanted a camper and so that was part of the trade off. Big camper and now a small boat. We plan on camping the outberbanks and exploring that area. Is it worth towing the Gheenoe to fish the sound side? I assume the red and trout fishery can be good on that side.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It could be but as you know it depends on the wind. If its light or you are in the lee it'd be ok. If its blowing a bit more and across open water it gets a tight steep chop which would not be fun.

Have you sold the bayboat?

If you're talking the northern outer banks from Ocracoke up to Nag's Head, definitely. You might also consider taking the ferry over to Cape Lookout, but that would probably be limited to surf fishing. I'm not sure if there are suitable launch sites on the sound side even for a Gheenoe, but maybe. Unfortunately, we had to impose a severe curtailment of flounder fishing in NC. Check the regs, but we're going to be limited to two weeks, 16 Aug - 30 Sep. Welcome back and good luck.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    After a 3 year tour in Beaufort SC we are coming back to Lejeune. The fishing here has been nothing short of incredible but I have missed the Crystal Coast. It’s hard for me to describe but Eastern NC feels like home everytime we come back.

From 2014-2017 we had a Carolina Skiff 218 DLV in Jacksonville. We have had a 22’ Bayboat down here.

This might be our last tour so we are done with the big boats and we are going to get a Gheenoe LT25. I think we will be able to get to most of the places inshore that I want to fish there. I know the water so I know the tides, the wind...etc. My kids are too small for the nearshore stuff so I will focus solely inshore in the creeks and marsh.

My question is this...my wife wanted a camper and so that was part of the trade off. Big camper and now a small boat. We plan on camping the outberbanks and exploring that area. Is it worth towing the Gheenoe to fish the sound side? I assume the red and trout fishery can be good on that side.

Thanks

This might interest you....
    https://www.microskiff.com/threads/g...reduced.69010/

Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    If you're talking the northern outer banks from Ocracoke up to Nag's Head, definitely. You might also consider taking the ferry over to Cape Lookout, but that would probably be limited to surf fishing. I'm not sure if there are suitable launch sites on the sound side even for a Gheenoe, but maybe. Unfortunately, we had to impose a severe curtailment of flounder fishing in NC. Check the regs, but we're going to be limited to two weeks, 16 Aug - 30 Sep. Welcome back and good luck.
    I have kept up for sure. Yes. Talking Oracoke up. We want to camp up there and spend some real time exploring that area.

Take the Gheenoe for sure Ocracoke north. Wind permitting, there are tons of places to hit. You can catch anything from pin fish to nice reds. Maybe even cobia closer to the inlets.

There are launches up and down the banks on the sound side ranging from full on ramps to less imprved like at New Inlet on Pea Island. Wanchese to hit the Roanoke Island marshes.

You sell the bayboat? I'm starting to think/look for one.

Quote Originally Posted by todobien View Post
    There are launches up and down the banks on the sound side ranging from full on ramps to less imprved like at New Inlet on Pea Island. Wanchese to hit the Roanoke Island marshes.

You sell the bayboat? I'm starting to think/look for one.
    Yes. My brother is a Navy Officer and getting stationed in Jacksonville Florida. He is buying it.

Check out towee boats too or try to find a 16 privateer. Don't think you'd be upset with having a little more beam and fretboard in eastern NC
    todobien likes this.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements