Spring bowfin and gar

Thread: Spring bowfin and gar

Default Spring bowfin and gar

It’s March now and I’m ready to get back to fishing. Last year I got the bug to catch bowfin and longnose gar. I don’t usually run into these fish until summer. I’m wondering if I can target these ancient fish in the spring? And if there are areas that are more productive in March and April? The creek I fish regularly has a real high water level and doesn’t become productive for any species really until the water drops in may or over the summer.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There are deeper holes up above New Bern in the Neuse that are full of them right now.

Here in NE part of the state I catch them in late March and April. Merchants Millpond SP is good for them with cut bait under a bobber or off the bottom. Big bowfin there!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention I’m in garner but don’t mind driving a bit. Do all creeks and streams hold these fish? I fished some creeks that are loaded with small bass or panfish, some that have catfish, and some with more gar, pike, bowfin. The creek I fish most gives up largemouth mostly until summer then the gar and bowfin seem to take over. Chain pickerel and bullheads are always there though.

I spoke too soon. Went out a little on Monday and caught a gar. I was really surprised. I went out today though and didn’t even get a nibble.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.†

Name:	EB8CBA6A-775A-4444-BE9B-161A874F530C_1584046741266.jpg‎†
Views:	34†
Size:	71.6 KB†
ID:	196871

You need to head down to Buckhorn Dam on the Cape Fear. Itís southwest of Shearon Harris and should be about a 40 minute drive for you. It is loaded with all types of fish. I have caught largemouth, bream, crappie, carp, blue cats, Flathead, spotted gar, bowfin, and white perch there and itís not uncommon to have a 4-6 species day.

Iím not sure how the bite is right now for the gar or bowfin, but in mid to late spring and summer, the gar get stacked below the large island closest to the spillway. I like to cast a #6 panther Martin gold / orange deluxe fly spinner with my ultra light and a 10-12 lb leader. The gar will smack the crap out of it (gotta reel it in fast!) and then youíre on for a good fight. While Iím casting for them, I may hang 1-2 rods below the kayak with some cut bait, and have caught some nice catfish that way. Send me a PM if you ever want to meet up and go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info and pics, Pond Pounder. I’m currently stuck on the bank, is there good bank access around there? I was thinking of checking out the Cape Fear in Raven Rock.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements