Whats the hot Lure for Belews lake - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats the hot Lure for Belews lake

I learned to fish slow and have been much more successful!
    Caught 6 Sunday morning and yes a ton of boats. I can’t believe how packed the pontoon boats were. So much for social distancing.....

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Here are the fish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2B8E5843-4952-4DBD-9A28-186A35388B0B_1585861824469.jpg‎ 
Views:	11 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	197083   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6E80A19A-0244-4A95-B8C8-40D48895E725_1585861839126.jpg‎ 
Views:	9 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	197085   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C99FD020-191F-4DE7-AE74-6F962EA32DD6_1585861855721.jpg‎ 
Views:	8 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	197087   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D692F6EF-7831-49B5-8BCE-8A350D610557_1585861872354.jpg‎ 
Views:	10 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	197089   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BA3DFF94-9D0E-4447-A9DF-24A3E07450EC_1585861891893.jpg‎ 
Views:	8 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	197091   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC021B18-C734-47ED-B45A-5D68EE5D4321_1585861905155.jpg‎ 
Views:	10 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	197093  
    Abert43, Bleedingblue, and SurfRider like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PontoonMike View Post
    SurfRider you never cease to amaze me with your posts about Belews. I try to re-read everything you say about it when you post

I've been living on the lake for almost 4 years now and I still have yet to figure this dang lake out. Heck I've been through 3 boats in that period of time too lol

I've had my most "luck" on shakyhead finesse worms or Zman TRD's on a ned rig......slow finesse.

I don't think I've ever caught a fish in this lake on fast moving bait like crank or spinner bait. I might recall getting some blow ups on a buzzbait at some point early one morning.

I live down on the 158 bridge area so I usually fish below 65....the water is usually a lot more stained down here.

Also, good grief almighty were there a lot of boats out last weekend....you'd think it was 4th of July already. I even saw some kids getting pulled beyind a boat on a tube! It's still March!
    I had the fortune of fishing with some guys who in one case knew the lake pretty well and gave me some starter pointers for areas and then as my confidence grew I was able to expand those patterns, and then guys who fished a lot of moving baits that showed me how effective they can be. I have not really thrown spinnerbaits out there, but lipless cranks, A-rigs, and topwater walkers I have definitely caught bass. I don't do a lot of cranking but jerkbaits certainly have their place there if the bass are active. Shakey heads are a very effective tool, they just take longer to cover water. Regular football head jigs are effective for largemouth as well, especially on steep rocky banks with lots of cover like you find in the S-turns between the upper main lake and 65 (by upper I mean upstream, so to the south).

I have not fished in your area of the lake, so I would imagine it fishes quite differently down where you are. That area south of 158 was always an enigma to me; in fact I did very little fishing south of either 65 bridge. I fished mainly from about Humphrey's back to 65 - if I found bait south of the eastern 65 bridge I would fish between the bridge and old train trestle cut, but almost never past that (from the trestle cut to 158 or south of 158). Couple trips I caught some bass past Carolinas into that arm around some of the points back in that creek arm but only fished there a few times either.
    - Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have not fished in your area of the lake, so I would imagine it fishes quite differently down where you are. That area south of 158 was always an enigma to me; in fact I did very little fishing south of either 65 bridge. I fished mainly from about Humphrey's back to 65 - if I found bait south of the eastern 65 bridge I would fish between the bridge and old train trestle cut, but almost never past that (from the trestle cut to 158 or south of 158). Couple trips I caught some bass past Carolinas into that arm around some of the points back in that creek arm but only fished there a few times either.[/QUOTE]

This part of the post brought back some great memories for me. We used to ride our bikes down the train bed and fish around the trestle when I was a kid. We even rode bikes down 158 and fish all over.

Good times.

Sorry to hi- jack the thread, Belews lake on that end has always been hit or miss for me. Haven’t fished the main part of the lake from a boat in awhile.

Sent from Wherever I was at the time...

I have fished out there some and been pretty successful. I have fished it from November until March but usually I'm fishing it from December to February. As soon as the water around home hits the mid-40's I'm looking for big largemouth. I've fished out there several times with Sam and as usual when we shared the boat we learned a lot from each other.

When I fish it I'm rarely using worms or jigs. I just don't like fishing that way. I also don't care for vertical jigging. I like fishing swimbaits, sroungers, lipless, and a float-n-fly. If I can get bites I'll fish the float-n-fly all day long. I can't get enough of it.

I've never been too impressed with the hot hole. I think there is just too much bait and too many options unless they are actively feeding or busting on top. I like areas where there is a good population of bait and cover. If those two ingredients are there then you can find some fish. Getting them to bite is another matter. I move a lot. If they aren't biting then try a different spot. The only place I have always been able to find some active fish is deep water boat docks. I have several posts on here about my trips that you can look for.

Hope this helps.
    Tight lines,
    Andrew

Andrew has shown me the effectiveness of that float-n-fly especially during colder months or on suspended fish. He would always outfish me with it, but it's partly because my attention would wander and I'd pick one of my other favorites and then he'd land a fish, and I'd try the fly again. Agreed, definitely learned a lot fishing with you, Andrew!
    Bleedingblue likes this.

- Sam

I got out there on Tuesday afternoon....fished from about 4pm to about 7pm. I had a really good time, probably my best day on the lake. I fished at the 158 bridge rip rap and maybe up to about 200 yards north of it. Stayed in that small area the whole time.

Ironically I was fishing with a 1/32oz jig for CRAPPIE and ended up catching more bass than crappie. I remembered someone else said to use WHITE and that certainly was the color.

I lost a 3 pounder at the boat.....I knew I was going to have a hard time landing him on a 1/32oz hook size. Biggest I landed was about 2lbs. I probably caught and lost at the boat a combined 10-12 fish.

I caught two crappie as well, including this beautiful black crappie.

Abert43, Bleedingblue, and SurfRider like this.

A 3lb bass at Belews is a really good fish, congrats! I have always done best with some version of white or silver out there, unless I'm throwing a worm, in which case I like green pumpkin or black/blue for jigs. My flukes and paddle tails I would dip the tails into some Spike-It dye to add some chartreuse.

Nice job getting on some good fish!
    - Sam

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12