Whats the hot Lure for Belews lake
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the hot Lure for Belews lake

Default Whats the hot Lure for Belews lake

Always just fished for small trout up north now getting into bass fishing. belews lake is likely going to be the most convenient lake for me. I need to start getting up my tackle box and wanted to see if anyone could shed some light on the must haves for this lake.
    TOP COP likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

What are you trying to catch?

What type of fish are you trying for?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Belews is a hard lake to figure out, but I've had some luck there with mid depth crankbaits, white spinnerbaits, and watermelon seed floating worms. Also, always have a topwater (pop-r, spook, etc...) with you in case you see any busting at the surface. The shad there are white in coloration and smaller in size.
    jerry condrey likes this.

It is a typical clear water lake. Think fleurocarbon line, downsize your baits. Shakey heads, swimbait, And it’s also a good topwater lake at times
    jerry condrey likes this.

The last few weeks anything white has been hot. Alabama rigs with white swim baits, white jerk baits, white swim baits on a weighted hook, small crank baits...white of course.
    Bleedingblue, and NCFM like this.

"I've gotta stop wishin, I've got to go fishin!"

Default Try fishing lay downs

Quote Originally Posted by Linkandcuff View Post
    Always just fished for small trout up north now getting into bass fishing. belews lake is likely going to be the most convenient lake for me. I need to start getting up my tackle box and wanted to see if anyone could shed some light on the must haves for this lake.
    I have had a lot of luck using a Drop Shot with a 6" brown Robo worm around the lay downs.GOOD LUCK

Aren't you fishing from a boat? The water from the plant is great during the winter.

So i went Thursday evening and went this morning. Caught a fish each day. Both about 14". One on a 6" plastic brown worm and one on a white/silver 6" plastic worm. I tried some of the other lures mentioned about but not much luck really. Whats the perfect temp for the bass to start moving? It was high 50's for water temp today. No bites other than the two fish i caught. Maybe i need to try different techniques or something. Seems like i should have more success but i had a great time and will keep on plugging along.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_5437.jpg‎
Views:	137
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	196879 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_5417.jpg‎
Views:	137
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	196881

That second photo looks like the shoreline by the hot hole to me; don't just rely on the discharge area, there are lots of productive places in that lake. Belews has moods. It will take you time to learn them. If you caught any fish at all on your first outings, you are doing well. It took me many moons to start catching fish there, but during Winter it eventually became my Old Faithful for catching 1 to 3 pound bass. My best day out there I caught 22 bass on topwater in 2 hours, and literally came back the next day and caught 4 all day. Moody I tell ya.

There is no magic water temp there, but things can change in the mid lake depending on how much hot water the plant is producing. Learn to use your sonar, can't stress that enough. Days when fish are active, moving baits or jerkbaits on points where current moves past them can be good, and you're always scanning your sonar as well as topwater looking for wads of feeding or breaking fish. On calm overcast days I would very often pull out binoculars and scan for surface boils - don't run right up in them, they will dive and move, but be ready for it when you see it. The two hwy 65 bridges often have a mud / clear water interface with bait thick around it, you can catch fish there but they are finicky and tough to get to bite.

The bass move around a lot there; you can be in them thick and an hour later they have evaporated (not really, they just move and don't leave a forwarding address). Days when fish are inactive (the bait is flat on the bottom, and you don't see active fish moving) can be much tougher, but smaller worms like swamp crawlers on shaky heads worked on steeper banks, especially those with lots of rock or wood, can be good. Natural colors for worms like green pumpkin, pumpkinseed, or baby bass seem better. For moving baits, silver and white are pretty standard. Days when it's cloudy or if the water gets a little murky, some chartreuse thrown in never hurts. You can cast to visible laydowns if you want, some people catch fish that way with flukes and such, but I always had my best luck with laydowns that extended into deeper water - past the green line. (I call the line where you can no longer see the bottom in N.C. lakes the 'green line' - the brown of bottom gives way to just the green of the water).

I only ever fished Belews from October till early April but if I had to pick five baits I always had tied (roughly in order):
    - Spook junior or other walking topwater bait (not too big) - if you see them boil you don't have long to get the bait in front of them, when they are on topwater, those fish are on the move!
    - Jerkbait - my favorite was a StaySee Pointer, but I also like Shadow Rap Shads - shorter the better
    - Shaky head with a swamp crawler or trick worm (I'd usually bite off the first inch or so of the trick worm)
    - Rattletrap in something silver or Redeye Shad in sexy shad (work them top to bottom, hits sometimes come on the fall)
    - Flashmob Jr with white or pearly swimbaits (smaller sizes like 3 inch)
    > Honorable mentions go to Carolina rigged craw baits (Zoom UV Speed Craw!) for stumpy points, Kastmaster spoons for deep suspended fish, chatter baits for schoolies, crankbaits, and although most say it's 'not a Texas rig lake' I was the heretic that would go catch bass on Texas rigged worms out of the deeper laydowns.

Fish are pre-spawn in early February, spawn in March, and by April it's already post-spawn patterns.

Search the forums, there have been dozens and dozens of posts, including some by yours truly. If you fish there during Summer, you're a heartier soul than I, the boat traffic there during warmer months is insane, and the fish are often deep during the day or just night feeders. But during Winter, that place can be a ghost town one day and bass bonanza the next. Good luck!
    - Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

Thanks for the great feedback. It’s likely I’ll be going back today since it looks like the rain is holding off.
    The picture you mention was near the pine hall boat ramp.
    There was a fork that takes you to Oak level church rd that I checked out right before having to leave that looked like it had potential.

Texas rigged short thick French Fry or Centipede type worms in popular colors fished in the stump fields will get you in the ball game.
    Wacky rigging works well when you locate the Bass, also great on the days when they are taking on the drop, or just want something slower.

When the fish are deeper, drop shotting is hard to beat for numbers of Bass, if you can have good electronics and can use them well.

We were at Belews yesterday. My wife looks up and sees a bald eagle. About 30’ in front of the boat, it swoops down in open water and picked up a bass off the surface. It was one of the most amazing things I’ve ever witnessed.

Water was kind of stained from pollen. Caught plenty small of spots on a shakey head. Pretty little things. Always fun for the kids. It should get better in April according to my camera roll from years past out there.

Also saw quite a few deer roaming the woods. We once saw a deer swimming across the big part of the lake in mid summer out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	FA028236-CC87-4FB1-9CAA-C807EFEC0B3A_1584938530167.jpg‎
Views:	12
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	196961
    "Modesty is the only sure bait when fishing for praise."

I was there Saturday and was skunked badly haha

Where were you catching the fish?

Do you have a picture of your shaky head setup?

SurfRider you never cease to amaze me with your posts about Belews. I try to re-read everything you say about it when you post

I've been living on the lake for almost 4 years now and I still have yet to figure this dang lake out. Heck I've been through 3 boats in that period of time too lol

I've had my most "luck" on shakyhead finesse worms or Zman TRD's on a ned rig......slow finesse.

I don't think I've ever caught a fish in this lake on fast moving bait like crank or spinner bait. I might recall getting some blow ups on a buzzbait at some point early one morning.

I live down on the 158 bridge area so I usually fish below 65....the water is usually a lot more stained down here.

Also, good grief almighty were there a lot of boats out last weekend....you'd think it was 4th of July already. I even saw some kids getting pulled beyind a boat on a tube! It's still March!

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast