NC Angler Forums banner

Nags Head surf fishing mid March, need some pointers

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Fish allure 
#1 ·
Greetings, I'm going to be in Nags Head a few days mid March and want to do some surf fishing. I've done a lot of surf fishing in OBX in the Summer, but never in March. Looking for some general pointers about what bait / lures to use, what lb line, what color line, what's biting, any special regs, and just stuff like that. Thanks for whatever help you can give me.

#2 ·
Surf fishing is dead until mid April usually. You may get lucky and be able to jig for shads off of a pier if the weather/water is nice. Surf fishing will be better on Hatteras Island. Talk to a tackle shop when u are here, they will send u in the right direction.

#3 ·
Yeah I was kind of afraid of that. I’ll be there anyway on a short trip with friends and family. Is it totally pointless to even take my tackle? No offense to anyone, but I’ve never been much on pier fishing. I just like to be on the beach moving around.

#4 ·
Head down towards Oregon Inlet, you may have some luck there with Sea Mullet or a few other things. If you have 4WD you could get a permit to drive on the beach and then head down to Buxton and drive out to the Point or south of that. Should be something biting there. Mullet and Drum have been around here and there. It is not the "greatest" fishing in March, but they can be found and at times, some of the bigger fish are caught. Caught a 2 LB Whiting (Virgina Mullet) just yesterday and it is really early.

#6 ·
The only thing really is biting on the north side of Oregon Inlet are Dogfish. I also been hearing that there is a speckle trout and stripers bites in the sound, but I believe thats from a boat.

Other than that Hatteras Island has had some reports of red drums and whiting/mullet bites.

also there's been a lot of reports of crappie biting on the main land in the canels

#7 ·
as far as braid size i use 8-10 lbs on my jigging rods and use 20-30 lbs on my surf casting set ups...color doesnt matter to me that much cause i use mono and fluorocarbon leaders

I use 7-6.6 foot rods for jigging in the ocean and use 10 foot rods for surf, but have a 7 foot rod for surf rod and some days i wished I had a 12 footer, and or at least something that can cast 8 oz of weight

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.