Lake Calder wood lake
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calder wood lake

Default Calder wood lake

Trolled around for a few hours and picked up 6 fish and missed a few more, nothing big this time around. Pulled them for 30ish feet to dang near top water. Water temp was 47.5 to about mid lake, we didnít get past there. Also saw an otter swimming and playing on the bank and itís the one time I didnít have my binos with me.

Water was flowing from one spill gate from cheoah, but not generating, water was up and moving but not like when they generate.

Someone was trying to troll the slot up against the boat put in but didnít see them catch anything the whole time we were loading up and getting everything else settled for the ride home. Only other boat we saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Did you catch all Rainbows? The ones I see look like Rainbows. There's plenty of fish all the way down the lake.

They must have been generating when you were down lake. They can't pause for long. Fontana has been releasing 9,000 - 15,000 CFPS for the last month, 24-7. When they were at the high end of those flows, they probably had 3-4 gates open along with the generators. They've slowed down lately but TVA continues to drop Fontana, just in case. Fontana is releasing 10,000+ this afternoon.
    gambusia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutgirl View Post
    Did you catch all Rainbows? The ones I see look like Rainbows. There's plenty of fish all the way down the lake.

They must have been generating when you were down lake. They can't pause for long. Fontana has been releasing 9,000 - 15,000 CFPS for the last month, 24-7. When they were at the high end of those flows, they probably had 3-4 gates open along with the generators. They've slowed down lately but TVA continues to drop Fontana, just in case. Fontana is releasing 10,000+ this afternoon.
    Yep all rainbows. All stockers and all right under a lb.

Marked a school of fish hugging the bottom in about 50ft of water.

We didnít fish on down the lake when you take that hard left bend the wind was whipping across the lake and I didnít feel like fighting that all afternoon

I noticed when we put in there wasnít any gates open and only one open when we left maybe they were generating but current wasnít near as strong as Iíve seen.

gambusia likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Those fish hugging the bottom might be white suckers

Maybe they were pretty decent marks and kind of stacked on top of each other, similar to what Iíve seen walleye look like on a graph but didnít think there was a population in the lake

gambusia likes this.

Both Cheoah and Calderwood have good populations of white sucker.

I guess they don't mind the cold water.

Its one of the reasons they stocked a few muskies, they would eat the suckers that compete with the trout for bugs.
    loganwayne likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by loganwayne View Post
    Maybe they were pretty decent marks and kind of stacked on top of each other, similar to what Iíve seen walleye look like on a graph but didnít think there was a population in the lake

There is probably a stray Walleye in both Cheoah and Calderwood from time to time. I've fished Calderwood a whole lots of times and I've never caught one. There's some Perch in Calderwood but they never get sizable in there. The fish you saw were most likely Suckers or possibly Perch. There's some Smallmouths and Redeyes mostly in the lower end. I've never seen a Musky but 3 years ago, I saw a picture of a Musky that looked about 45" long that somebody caught and released in Calderwood. 2 years ago a guy I met at Calderwood told me he lost a Musky down near the dam. Occasionally a White Bass finds it's way into Calderwood. I've caught a couple.
    gambusia likes this.

Muskie and walleye are native to the river but have also been stocked to supplement populations.

I think Cheoah and Calderwood are actually too cold to support much of anything but suckers and trout.

Quote Originally Posted by gambusia View Post
    Ö..I think Cheoah and Calderwood are actually too cold to support much of anything but suckers and trout.
    That's true but Fontana's release water seems to be getting warmer very gradually. There's way more warm water in the Cheoah River than there used to be. When I first saw the Cheoah River back in the 1960's I was taken back! There was so little water in it that it was akin to the baby pool at a swim park. It was a darn hard place to drown! I thought it should be illegal to do that to a river.

It's been well over a decade since I last registered a temp of 48 in the upper end of Calderwood. It used to be unusual for the temp to be over 50. Now it usually is and during some droughts it's been above 60.

It seems that Calderwood is evolving into a slightly warmer lake. I'm thinking that some kinds of minnows may eventually thrive and help the lake's dinner table feed the Trout better like is the case in downstream Chilhowee Lake.
    gambusia likes this.

I think they are required to keep a minimum flow in the Cheoah River year around now

55 degree water is good for rainbow trout

There was a minimum flow requirement for the Cheoah River in the past but it was set shockingly low. It finally got raised about 20 years ago before Alcoa sold the dams.

Wayne, Calderwood is all one word. It's the last name of the lead engineer that built Alcoa's three original dams long ago. Cheoah Dam was finished back in 1919. Chilhowee was built long past his lifetime. Chilhowee was built in the 1950's. It began operations in 1957.
    gambusia likes this.

I got out today for a few hours, plenty of action, no real size. Drifted from the launch to the tunnel casting crankbaits along the shorelines. Managed to catch a couple browns mixed in with all the 12-14" rainbows. Nice weather, good scenery...good Saturday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.†

Name:	GH014657_1584211879755_high_1584236246872.JPG‎†
Views:	26†
Size:	45.8 KB†
ID:	196883
    hellomcfly2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexagenia View Post
    I got out today for a few hours, plenty of action, no real size. Drifted from the launch to the tunnel casting crankbaits along the shorelines. Managed to catch a couple browns mixed in with all the 12-14" rainbows. Nice weather, good scenery...good Saturday.
    Where the heck is the tunnel. Maybe Iím blind and just havenít noticed it but Iíve had several people reference the tunnel and Iíve never seen it or know where itís at.

Quote Originally Posted by loganwayne View Post
    Where the heck is the tunnel. Maybe I’m blind and just haven’t noticed it but I’ve had several people reference the tunnel and I’ve never seen it or know where it’s at.

It's approximately 1.5 miles past Slickrock Creek, opposite shore. It can be tough to spot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.†

Name:	Screenshot_20200315-163133~2_1584304577477.jpg‎†
Views:	49†
Size:	19.8 KB†
ID:	196891Click image for larger version.†

Name:	Screenshot_20200315-162842~2_1584304618156.jpg‎†
Views:	46†
Size:	15.6 KB†
ID:	196893Click image for larger version.†

Name:	Screenshot_20200315-163049~2_1584304664428.jpg‎†
Views:	45†
Size:	16.6 KB†
ID:	196895
    loganwayne likes this.

The only way to mark the tunnel is to nearly run aground on the shelf there. It used to be easy to spot the tunnel because Alcoa dropped their lakes about 4-5 feet lower for the winter. You could see the tunnel. We threw night crawlers into it and never got a strike. I think that the fish avoided it. I suspect that they feared ambush at either end...??? It's a bit deeper at and around the tunnel now. Maybe the fish like it more there now that it's deeper? I don't think it's any kind of hot spot.

You might be able to spot the tunnel if you were up there on a day when the lake level has crashed down 3-4 feet during some heavy generating.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast