Lake Calder wood lake - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calder wood lake

I think I know the general area itís in now. People just referenced it a lot talking about the lake and I was over here looking to a tunnel exit halfway up the mountain or something.

What was the tunnel for? I assume for a train before it was flooded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It was a logging railroad that ran on it. Slickrock Creek was a heavily cut. I think it was Babcock Lumber Company. This was between 1900 and WW II. Vast areas of the mountains were clearcut.

Default Calder wood lake

Iím surprised it wasnít for a train. Back in the day they took them places you could only imagine. I really love the old logging history of WNC since I got my first degree in forestry.
    But I guess closer to WWll got closer trucks were used more.

Iíve found some old winches on peaks that I can only imagine they used to lower a log train back down the mountain with cables as think as your arm.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It was for a train. I think that they ran a smaller guage track than the regular railroads.

Back when I was fishing a bunch of the Smoky creeks that empty into Fontana Lake in the 1970's, I saw lots of railroad and logging equipment that had been abandoned. I think that it was Forney Creek where we saw the most. Much of the stuff was very rusty back then and may be mostly gone now, plus, there's been some flooding since then that might have scattered stuff....???

Found a few brookies out here yesterday. Trolled the whole lake, steady action. Rainbows all over, no browns, brook trout in one area about halfway down the lake.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.†

Name:	0321201142_1584882992336.jpg‎†
Views:	17†
Size:	27.5 KB†
ID:	196935Click image for larger version.†

Name:	0321201341_1584883171600.jpg‎†
Size:	26.5 KB†
ID:	196937Click image for larger version.†

Name:	0321201357_1584883360025.jpg‎†
Size:	26.5 KB†
ID:	196939
    gambusia, and Troutgirl like this.

Nice Brookies! I hope to catch a few of those whenever I finally get to fish. The way the epedemic is going, the Brookies may get some time to grow before I get there. It's been at least 5 years since I caught a Brookie in Calderwood. They have not stocked many, if any, for about 7-10 years. A decade ago we caught some in the 16-18 inch range. I wonder who stocked 'em this time? Both states have stocked 'em on occasion, probably when they've ended up with bumber crops. I wish they'd put some in Chilhowee Lake occasionally. They'd grow bigger there. Tennessee mostly puts 'em in the tailwaters. I can't recall them stocking any other lakes with Brookies.

I'm glad you've been able to get out. I'm stuck in the house for awhile....

Supposed to have been caught yesterday

Troutgirl likes this.

Wow! That one sure put the weight back on after last fall's spawn. It's stomach looks so full. I'm sitting here imagining a small Trout in it's gullet.
    gambusia likes this.

NC hasn't stocked brook trout in Calderwood in about 10-15 years, only rainbows

gambusia, before Tellico Lake, I had a Brown approximately the same size as the one in the picture, strike a 14" Rainbow I was pulling in. It stuck it on the back and left tooth marks. It hit my fish when it was about 15 feet from the boat. The big Brown disengaged when it sensed something fishy. It proceeded to swim a 360 degree swing around the boat looking us over. Then it went downstream of us and continued to hunt a meal. Chilhowee Dam wasn't generating, so, we could occasionally see the big Brown because it was leaving a wake when it was shallow. We kept seeing it for about an hour when Chilhowee started to generate. It always stayed downstream of us till the heavy flow obscured it's antics.
    gambusia likes this.

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12