Lake Mackintosh

Thread: Lake Mackintosh

Default Lake Mackintosh

Went fishing at Lake Mackintosh, Alamance side. Didnt know what the fish were up to with the weather being so warm. Water temps were 58. Caught one small lmb on a lipless in craw. Pulled into a cove and found a cruising bass so started throwing a crankbait. Nothing. Thought I'd try a spinnerbaits around letdowns. Never have done much of this because I didn't want to snag, but I recently resolved with fluorocarbon. Almost gave up and wham! That spinnerbaits got crushed a few feet off of a laydown. My biggest bass and first off if a spinnerbait. Caught two more close in around woody cover then I think the wind changed the pattern. They were shallow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	20200313_104458_1584191837278.jpg‎
Views:	47
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	196873 Click image for larger version.

Name:	20200313_104530_1584191898155.jpg‎
Views:	40
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	196875
    Abert43, Bleedingblue, and Jeffonc like this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

i know there's a small tourney out there today - curious to see how they do. I went recently on Guilford side. water was up to 62 in places - figured they'd be shallow as well but saw zero activity in the pockets. only managed 2 dinks on a craw crank as well. threw chatterbait, a-rig, cranks, lipless, jerkbait all in pockets, points, channel drops. Marked a lot of suspended fish - i think the somewhat drastic drawdown of water had them messed up. Water on the upstream side of guilford was much clearer than what i can tell from your pics downlake.

Spinnerbaits on laydowns in stained water in March is a great pattern to work. Congrats!
    - Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I've only been on the guilford side a couple of times. What's your take on fishing the two sides? The bottom end is deep but has places to fish. Is the guilford side better suited to shallow fishing?

Spinnerbaits on wood cover is my goto this time of year. If they will bite it I hardly put it down. Spinnerbaits have gotten me one over 5 and one over 8 this spring. I would also say don't be afraid of getting hung. You have to put it in harms way to get bites. The fish usually swim out of the cover before biting so I don't lose too many.
    Tight lines,
    Andrew

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements