Pickerel in RDU area
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pickerel in RDU area

Default Pickerel in RDU area

I have never caught a pickerel and itís on my 2020 Fishiní Resolutions list. Is there a good spot for that in the area? What bait / technique works well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Try New Hope Creek in Duke Forest. Spinners work well but they will hit almost anything.
    Pond Pounder likes this.

Mayo lake and Kerr lake.
    Heard they are in Falls Never caught one in the 25 years I have been fishing it.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I catch them on live minnows, rapalas, rooster tails, and even on rubber worms. Look for weedy places. Weeds + wood even better!
    Pond Pounder likes this.

Angler Member
    Kayak Angler

I caught one on Harris years ago
    Training for retirement since 1983

Quote Originally Posted by EvBlue View Post
    Try New Hope Creek in Duke Forest. Spinners work well but they will hit almost anything.
    I take it thatís only accessible via the hiking trail there? Or is there any place to put in a canoe / kayak?

Quote Originally Posted by Pond Pounder View Post
    I take it that’s only accessible via the hiking trail there? Or is there any place to put in a canoe / kayak?

take some live minnows to beaver dam will get them this time of year for sure.
    2020 LMB Total :130; largest 6# 5oz! Total over 4:14; lifetime largest 9.25
    2020 Crappie Total:75 biggest:1.5#

I caught one yesterday at Beaverdam using a crankbait.
    ~JOE~
    Solo Dei Gloria

A few years back I got into a mess of them on Harris. In the northeast end past the bridge. In April and May the shallow grass really fills in. They turn up occasionally between the bass and bowfin

Yep, if hiking in gate 26 is a good one. Like being in the mountains when you get back in there.

I take it that’s only accessible via the hiking trail there? Or is there any place to put in a canoe / kayak?

Harris has a good population of chain pickerel. The smaller redfin pickerel is found in rivers and creeks of the coastal plain.

I take it thatís only accessible via the hiking trail there? Or is there any place to put in a canoe / kayak?
    I'm pretty sure you could put a kayak or something in down at the "concrete bridge". The challenging part is getting it down there in the first place. If you come in at Gate 26 off of Whitfield Road, and take Concrete Bridge Road, it's a nice wide, gravel fire road, not single-track, so that part is fine. But it's about 4/10'ths of a mile from the road down to the bridge. So you'd have to carry / drag / wheel / whatever, the vessel that far. I don't know how much a kayak weighs, so not sure how feasible that is.

There are places on 86, and on Mt. Sinai Road, where the creek crosses the road and there may be access where you could get a kayak in the water. The problem on 86 at least, is that there's not really anywhere to park near where the creek crosses the road, or comes near the road. Mt. Sinai Road near the entrance to Johnston Mill Nature Preserve might be better in that regard.
    SurfRider likes this.

@mindcrime is doing his homework. Someone take that man fishing. I'd be happy to if I weren't 600 miles away. Phil, if you find yourself in the Florida panhandle, make sure you let me know. I'll put you on some fish.

I agree on the grass being a good bet for pickerel. That's where I have always found them. Anything resembling a minnow or baitfish should work.
    jerry condrey, and mindcrime like this.

- Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

Quote Originally Posted by SurfRider View Post
    @mindcrime is doing his homework.
    Knowing the geography of the area where I live comes naturally to me. I was a volunteer firefighter for a long time, back before Google Maps and GPS. So when a call was dispatched on some obscure back country road in the middle of nowhere, it helped to know where that was. I also got in the habit of memorizing locations of hydrants, static water sources for drafting, etc. And since I was also into fishing, looking for fishing spots was an instinct as well.

Over the past 20 years of living in Orange County, even during the time I wasn't fishing, I still looked for and noted bodies of water, fire hydrants, etc. It's just part of who I am. But now I can use Google Maps, Google Earth, the Orange County online GIS system, etc. to help learn even more.

Someone take that man fishing. I'd be happy to if I weren't 600 miles away. Phil, if you find yourself in the Florida panhandle, make sure you let me know. I'll put you on some fish.

Sounds good. Maybe once this COVID-19 thing is over I can make my way down there one day.

Down here in the sandhills, the old timers would jig a red piece of cloth cut like a small fat-back jig with a cane pole!!
    P-nut

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast