Fish On Foot

Thread: Fish On Foot

Default Fish On Foot

I went out yesterday to my favorite test pond. I go there to test float new flies that I have tied. It's my third trip out there in the last week or so. The first trip a buddy and I spanked the Bass on Beetle-spins and Chatterbaits. The Bass we caught were all a bit larger than the average bass we usually catch there. We caught maybe a couple dozen fish apiece
    The second trip was a solo trip and the fishing wasn't as productive,but still beat sitting at home listening to the 24/7 droning about CV. Chatterbaits and Beetle-spins again were the fishes choice. That day, I caught maybe a dozen fish, all on average of a half a pound.
    Yesterday, was the best day of the three. Yesterday was also a solo day. I started with the fly rod and FINALLY caught my first few fish of the year on the long stick, smaller Bass and a couple of Bream. This property has 3 ponds. The one I started on is kind of in a little depression and is not as susceptible to the wind as the others. When I finished in that pond, the wind was up to 20+ mph and the fly rod got put away. I moved to the large pond with an ultralight and medium weight spinning rods. I had a large chatterbait on the medium rod and a micro chatterbait on the ultralight. I started with the ultralight and worked way down the bank at the end of the pond. On my 3rd cast with the ultralight, I hooked a very nice Bream. I catch nice Bream in this pond all the time,but this fish was a good bit larger that what I usually catch there. I brought the fish in and released it. I cast back into the same area and hooked up on the next 8 casts, all larger than average Bream for that pond. I was having a ball. I moved up the bank 20 feet and started hooking up on every cast again. After another 10 fish, I moved up another 20 feet. The first cast there was a large shellcracker, then 5-6 more big Bream. I got to the corner and started up the next bank and started catching Bass. I switched to the medium wt rod with the larger chatterbait and the Bass started getting bigger. I caught maybe 10 Bass along that bank.
    The next bank wasn't as productive,but did have a funny thing happen. I had a grub with a paddle tail on the small chatterbait and it was pretty chewed up. I stopped to change the tail. I put another paddle tail grub on and when I did, I casually flipped the chatterbait into the water. A bass that easily topped 5 pounds darted out from under a mat of weeds and hit the bait. He didn't eat it, jus smacked it and knocked the bait into the air. It was one of those things where you stand there with your mouth hanging open and are unable to react to what just happened.

In total, I caught 12-14 Bass and over 2 dozen large Bream. It was really nice to be out of the house and not having the media bombarding me with CV coverage.Spring is here..get out of the house if you can and go fishing.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I would like to start a new post but do NOT see how to do that. I am 77 yrs old and live in Lexington, NC. I have several ponds and lakes near by. I favorite fish is the blue gill or sun perch. In 5 or 6 trips, I have caught one keeper size blue gill. I mush have caught at least a dozen fish on each trip but only one half way decent sized one. I use red worms as bait and fish from the bank.

Any suggestions on how to catch eatable sized fish?

When I hit a new pond, I usually make a point of walking the pond first to look for structure and beds. Make sure you have some polarized glasses because they will help you see better into the water. Pay attention to any fish breaking the water and try to figure out what they're eating. If you are fishing with bait, try putting a bit heavier weight on. Many times the smaller fish are higher up in the water column and a heavier weight may get the bait past the smaller fish and down to the bigger fish.
    When I fly fish, I try to use something that looks buggy. I catch a lot of fish on a sinking spider as well as bugs I tie that have foam, fur and feathers.
    If you're using bait, worms and crickets to catch more fish, although, when I was a kid, we used bacon and caught fish on that too.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG-3437.jpg‎
Views:	42
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	197105 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG-3443.jpg‎
Views:	43
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	197107 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG-3445.jpg‎
Views:	42
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	197109
    Bleedingblue likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements