Lake Adger 3-21-20 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lake Adger 3-21-20

Well I managed to find a few crappie today. Didn't exactly fill the boat but caught several, including two nice slabs. Caught a couple small bass too...on crappie minnows, not on the bass baits I threw.
    Also caught a strange guy. I thought maybe Hickory Shad but decided perhaps a Blueback Herring. I know the BBH were in Adger but not sure about HS. Not very knowledgeable about shad fish. But considerable Googling didn't produce any shad that has an anal fin like this fish. Little guy nailed a white marabou jig.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_6042.jpg‎
Views:	153
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	197319 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_6045.jpg‎
Views:	154
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	197321
    gambusia, and hellomcfly2 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Golden shiner, and a giant one at that

Wild shiner. I catch afew big ones like that on Lake Tillery in the castnet. I really don't get this but nothing will hit them. Never had a hit on one yet, cut or live. Iam thinking a chemical reaction the fish don't like.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Agree with Gambusia.....Golden Shiner.....and a size you seldom see that far north. It's also an Excellent Large Bass bait.....especially if there a Beds in the area....D

Well the first thing I thought was shiner, but I'm only familiar with the little crappie minnow shiners I've used in the somewhat distant past so I discounted that right off the bat.
    Thanks guys, mystery solved!

Sort of an update and curious observation. I caught a few crappie this weekend after the huge rain last week. I figured Adger would be pure mud but actually I was surprised. But the point is, the crappie I caught and invited to dinner were full of nymphs. I assume dragonfly nymphs with a few hellgrammites thrown in and a few other assorted nymphs. I don't know if the rain got them stirred up or it's just time and they were swimming up to emerge. I know crappie, like any fish, is opportunistic and will grab most anything available to eat. Just we tend to think crappie only eat minnows. I think I need to tie some jigs to "match the hatch".
    One other thing, they were also full of eggs. This weather apparently has delayed spawning but they were definitely not spawned out.

The wife and I were out for a boat ride earlier today and found the water temp to be between 62 and 65. Maybe after a warm Winter this cool May weather has delayed them some.
    OK so you think you are smarter than a fish, let me see you prove it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtrout View Post
    Sort of an update and curious observation. I caught a few crappie this weekend after the huge rain last week. I figured Adger would be pure mud but actually I was surprised. But the point is, the crappie I caught and invited to dinner were full of nymphs. I assume dragonfly nymphs with a few hellgrammites thrown in and a few other assorted nymphs. I don't know if the rain got them stirred up or it's just time and they were swimming up to emerge. I know crappie, like any fish, is opportunistic and will grab most anything available to eat. Just we tend to think crappie only eat minnows. I think I need to tie some jigs to "match the hatch".
    One other thing, they were also full of eggs. This weather apparently has delayed spawning but they were definitely not spawned out.
    Bigger fish than Crappie regularly eat nymphs. I've caught lots of Smallmouths on hoochies. They must be taking them for some kind of emerging nymph....??? That's a theory that fits my facts anyway. The list of fish species I've caught trolling hoochies grows with every season. I never caught a Kokanee Salmon on my one trip to Nantahala. I did catch a Rainbow, Smallmouth, and a Yellow Perch. Other species I've caught: Lake Trout, Brown Trout, Walleye, Bluegill, and Largemouth Bass. Fish like nymphs and they like them in winter and spring when there's fewer minnows to terrorize.

If I did casting fishing, I'd get something a lot like a hoochie to put on lead-heads to bounce on bottoms and banks.

I also believe that much spawning has been running late. That was the case when I was on my only fishing trip to Chilhowee Lake about a month ago. The Yellow Perch were all around the Abrams Creek Bridge spawning. That was at least a month late for them.
    gambusia likes this.

Crappie will eat whatever is available as a food source

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123