Lake Adger 3-21-20
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lake Adger 3-21-20

Default Lake Adger 3-21-20

Since Lake Julian has been no good for me lately ( and they have the lake shut down so you can't get on it). I decided to hit Lake Adger the last 2 weekends. Both week ends have been pretty good, but this last one was the best of the 2. The pictures posted are from yesterday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	20200321_090509.jpg‎
Views:	125
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	196941 Click image for larger version.

Name:	20200321_092008.jpg‎
Views:	120
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	196943 Click image for larger version.

Name:	20200321_092602.jpg‎
Views:	125
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	196945 Click image for larger version.

Name:	20200321_094134.jpg‎
Views:	115
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	196947 Click image for larger version.

Name:	20200321_100132.jpg‎
Views:	119
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	196949 Click image for larger version.

Name:	20200321_101536.jpg‎
Views:	114
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	196951 Click image for larger version.

Name:	20200321_102258.jpg‎
Views:	115
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	196953 Click image for larger version.

Name:	20200321_104128.jpg‎
Views:	107
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	196955

Click image for larger version.

Name:	20200321_153800.jpg‎
Views:	112
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	196957

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Great job! That's some good fishing
    Red X Angler
    There is always a way

Looks like you did well with the white bass! What are they hitting? I intend to take my kayak in the next day or so and try for some largemouth. Don't know much about white bass though.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

White Bass are rather indiscrimnant about what they'll hit. The lures shouldn't be too large. I frequently have caught them on spoons in the 1.5 - 2.5" range trolling for Trout in Santeetlah. They'll hit Doll Flys, small plugs, and soft plastic jigs. I was trolling Chilhowee Lake for Trout and Bass with a friend some years back. She pulls out her spinning rod and started casting out to the sides a leadhead with a 2 inch plastic minnow. I told her she was wasting her time but about a minute later she caught an 18" White Bass. There weren't many Whites in Chilhowee but she nabbed one.

When I was younger and the White Bass schools were vastly larger, I fished Whites occasionally. We'd find the surface action and cast the small Little Cleo Spoons. We'd put one or more Doll Fly up-line and I'd often catch two at a time. I never landed three on a cast but had three on a few times. I helped a buddy land a threesome one time. It was rather like catching one big fish.

Thanks for the info. I have small jigs and some small lures, crankbaits, etc. I'll give them a try. Thanks again!

I hope you find some. They ought to be up or near the streams they spawn in about now.

I went today. It was a bit windy out in the main body so I stayed in the coves. Tough in a kayak. Fishing was pretty slow. Bass didn't want a worm or lizard. I did manage to land one white bass. Right at 14" (released) on a 2" jig. Good fighter! Lost one other. I'm gonna have to figure out how to catch these guys.

In the summer, in Santeetlah, the Whites will be out in the channels that I troll for Trout. They like cool water in the summer heat and they'll follow the bait balls. I've caught 'em at 20-40 feet on spoons. Now might be a challenge to follow 'em in their preffered tributary streams. I saw a video of somebody catching 'em from the bank on the 'Tuck River in spring. It was far enough up that the water was flowing. I know they go up the Little River arm of Fort Loudoun Lake near my house this time of year. They have free love on their minds about now.

White Bass, our neglected fish. Some years back, right after we came to Lake Adger, for a while a couple of us specifically targeted them. Don’t know why we stopped, they are great fighters on light tackle and when you find one there are usually others close by. I looked for but couldn’t find a forum dedicated to them so if anyone knows of one please let me know. Trout girl is right, this time of year they should be headed up the Green River. Paddle up to where the old sand plant used to be, we caught a bunch in the hole there while they were spawning.
    gambusia, and Troutgirl like this.

OK so you think you are smarter than a fish, let me see you prove it!

Good info, thanks a lot. May try again this weekend or early in the week. After that I'll be out of commission for a bit. I actually caught the one on a light rod, 4 lb line with a soft crappie jig. Stayed in that area for a while but any others had apparently moved on. I've done some investigating and yes, I think I should be over at the mouth or even on up Green River about now. How far up is the "old sand plant"? Above the bridge that crosses at the head of the lake? Really want to learn to catch these & never really had the opportunity before. Thanks again!

I went back to Adger this past weekend and only caught some tiny crappie. I checked out the river, I went almost to the mouth but it got to about 2 feet deep and couldn't get up any further. Drifted back down the bank casting a shad colored square bill. Must have drifted 200 yards of bank without 1 hit. It's strange how you can do pretty good one week and totally bomb the next. I have to say the lakes are being beat up pretty bad right now. For the last 3 weeks I haven't ever seen Adger with this amount of boat traffic on it.

Missed Again I see that you go to Ocean Isle, I love that area. Have vacationed down there the last 5 summers. I take an Old Town 119 canoe and hit alot of the creeks. Do love catching those flounder.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvtofish2 View Post
    I went back to Adger this past weekend and only caught some tiny crappie. I checked out the river, I went almost to the mouth but it got to about 2 feet deep and couldn't get up any further. Drifted back down the bank casting a shad colored square bill. Must have drifted 200 yards of bank without 1 hit. It's strange how you can do pretty good one week and totally bomb the next. I have to say the lakes are being beat up pretty bad right now. For the last 3 weeks I haven't ever seen Adger with this amount of boat traffic on it.
    Yeah I went last Monday and the fishing was pretty dead. I think maybe the fronts coming through over the weekend and changing weather may have shut them down. Even the local pond was dead, when the previous weekend I had caught some small bass and one 4+ pounder. Not a hit on Monday.

The white bass population at Adger is declining but they run up as far as the gas pipeline right of way on the game lands above the lake.

This is the boundary where the trout waters end. Below that to the lake is where you will find the white bass and a few smallmouth and sunfish.

You can't get up into the sand pit area with out a canoe or kayak can you? I tried a couple of weekends ago and it got to around 2 feet deep and I was probably still a good 50 yards from the mouth of the river. Didn't want to press my luck. Also when I go over the bridge early in the morning and if the lake is down any at all the water around the bridge looks to be less that 2 feet deep. I thought the wildlife had been talking about dredging that area for seems like 3 years now.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast