Stay at home order and boat ramps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stay at home order and boat ramps

Default Stay at home order and boat ramps

Not sure if anybody else has any confusion regarding the stay at home order set to begin today. Specifically whether it is ok to travel to and use the NCWRC public boat ramps. On one hand I read that being outdoors is ok and encouraged as long as social distancing is done- boating/fishing certainly accomplishes this. On the other hand, I've read that the order restricts use of public roads unless traveling to an essential service. This seems to restrict travel to the local ramp. Then, I also read that playing golf is approved recreation as long as social distancing is done, but you have to drive to the golf course.

Maybe I'm thinking too much here, but seems confusing.

Thoughts, interpretations?

Stay safe guys
    BigDMan likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Guess we wonít know until we try. Personally, I think that if youíre staying away from others, itís fine to be outside. America is not communist China and there is no way youíre going to ever have everybody do the same thing. At this point, everyone is still relatively calm, but if you keep taking peopleís freedoms and economic opportunities away, how long are they going to continue to obey authority?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BigDMan, Hitman1961, and JM76 like this.

Use common sense, if you travel any distance and need to go to a gas station, convenience store, fast food store, bathroom etc, then it is not a good decision because you subjecting yourself and others to exposure. If the ramp is close to home and you can do it without other stops, then it becomes less risky and a more reasonable decision.

No one is taking your freedoms away, these are temporary efforts to protect you, and others, and ultimately preserve your freedoms. Having everyone work toward a common goal is not a communist ideal, refusing to work toward a common goal is just being ignorant and stupid. Especially since the goal here is protecting your fellow Americanís lives and health.

2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO; 2015 Beavertail Vengeance, Suzuki DF90;
    Jackson Coosa FD; Native Ultimate 14.5; CCA Member

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I think everyone got it right. Use common sense to protect yourself and others by staying away from each other. I don't think law enforcement will bother anyone that's not being an idiot.
    For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? (Matthew 16:26)

I was at Red Mill Road on the Eno yesterday... Talked to the squirrel sheriff who was checking the buckets of fish (and writing tickets).

He tells me that SOME ramps will close if people aren't careful.

He said that he hadn't seen any non-families too close together at this ramp
    Hitman1961 likes this.

After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

I contacted the NCWRC Enforcement division and was informed you can still fish. I also contacted NCDMF and informed the same.

Thanks for the responses guys. Lets go fishing!

Quote Originally Posted by biglenr View Post
    I was at Red Mill Road on the Eno yesterday... Talked to the squirrel sheriff who was checking the buckets of fish (and writing tickets).

He tells me that SOME ramps will close if people aren't careful.
    Jordan Lake was busier on Saturday than I had ever seen it in 20years of fishing holiday weekends, most not practicing social distancing. Today the State Park ramps will close at 8PM.
    Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

Thanks for the encouragement. Some friends in my fly fishing club were told you would be give a ticket for riding in your boat that you took off a boat lift. All Oak Island public ramps are closed. Oh well. Let’s go fishing.

Jordan Lake is my home lake and was closed yesterday. Now I will have to travel to find some place to fish. My business is practically closed, my family is starting to drive me crazy, and all Iíd like to do it get out on the water for a few hours to relive some stress from this **** pandemic. I understand the need for social distancing, but for Peteís sake, use some common sense when closing down recreation areas. I have a much higher chance of getting infected in the grocery store than out in the middle of the lake away from everyone. Regulate the boat ramps better and give people a chance to relieve some stress, because staying cooped up at home watching coronavirus coverage 24/7 isnít helping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    cervus likes this.

Dear Pond Pounder, How right you are! The virus sucks, of course. It has finally stuck someone I know so it is no joke. But I don’t want a batch of hard-core anglers going suicidal of us. We still have party boats coming by with 10-15 people in very close proximity to each other going by. But I don’t see too many anglers in that situation. Usually there is at least 6’ of social distancing going on. So, let’s go fishing alone or with a friend in the front of the boat.

Angler Member
    Kayak Angler

Just got this email from NCWRC listserve:

Do Your Part - Comply With COVID-19 Restrictions

Addressing the ongoing and unfolding impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic requires unprecedented measures to mitigate the community spread of COVID-19. Each and every one of us must all work together to do our part to limit person-to-person contact in our workplaces and in our communities.

Last Friday, Gov. Roy Cooper issued Executive Order 121 (EO121), which instituted a stay at home order and strategic directions for a statewide unified response to the increasing numbers of COVID-19 cases in our state. Under EO121, all North Carolinians are directed to stay at home, except as authorized in the Order. Outdoor activities are allowed under EO121; however, individuals MUST, with the full force and effect of law, comply with the following Social Distancing Requirements and Mass Gatherings requirements:

Individuals using shared or outdoor spaces when outside their residence MUST, at all times and as much as reasonably possible, maintain social (physical) distancing of AT LEAST six (6) feet from any other person, with the exception of family or household members.

Further, EO121 prohibits any events or convenings that bring together more than ten (10) persons into a single space at the same time.

Please note that local Emergency Orders may require more stringent standards. Prior to engaging in outdoor activities, check local government Emergency Orders for specific requirements.

Hunting, Fishing, Boating and many other wildlife-associated activities can be accomplished in compliance with those requirements; however, based on field observation from law enforcement and other agency professionals over the past week, many people are disregarding the requirements. Those actions raise the clear and present danger of increased community spread of COVID-19.

This is a time for each of us to work together to be part of the solution and not the problem. We are asking each of you to do your part when using any of our access areas. In order to keep these doorways to North Carolinaís public trust resources open, we are relying on the compliance of every person.

Failure to comply WILL LEAD to CLOSURES of boating and fishing access areas.

Gordon Myers
    Executive Director
    N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission

Teach a man to fish and he'll give away all your good spots.

I was at a ramp this weekend that was insanely crowded, almost every parking spot was taken up and people were everywhere. I could see things get closed up

I am seeing the banks packed with people fishing as well getting harder to stay distant from folks without having to travel to very remote places. I would think a bass boat with more than one person unless both in same household does not qualify as socially distant since when your traveling to and from at high speeds the seats are probably a little to close together.
    Hitman1961 likes this.

2020 LMB Total :130; largest 6# 5oz! Total over 4:14; lifetime largest 9.25
    2020 Crappie Total:75 biggest:1.5#

I’ve never seen a crowd at my kayak launch as big as the one today, every parking spot was taken and people were on the side of the road parked. Usually there is only 2-3 people there

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast