Budget fly buying?

Thread: Budget fly buying?

Default Budget fly buying?

I like to support local shops, and always do... but for bulk buying or saving a little money do you guys use any reliable online retailers for flies? Did they hold up as well and use quality materials?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I would suggest learning to tie your own. Its very satisfying to catch fish on something you made.

While tying your own is rewarding, it usually is not cost effective. It is a hobby, not a cost savings endeavor.

discountflies.com is pretty decent for saltwater flies, cannot comment on their freshwater flies.

If you do try tying your own, buying some well made flies to copy can be helpful, having it in your hand gives me a lot of additional info that a video just cannot provide.
    2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO; 2015 Beavertail Vengeance, Suzuki DF90;
    Jackson Coosa FD; Native Ultimate 14.5; CCA Member

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The budget stuff is poor-to-decent. Nowhere near the quality of what you'd find in a retail shop. Even a simple fly like a wooly bugger- the hackle will be much thicker on the retail stuff which will make the fly suspend better in the water column.

7. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements