03/30/2020 - New Hope Creek @ Stagecoach Road impoundment

Thread: 03/30/2020 - New Hope Creek @ Stagecoach Road impoundment

Default 03/30/2020 - New Hope Creek @ Stagecoach Road impoundment

03-30-2020
    New Hope Creek @ Stagecoach Road impoundment

After doing a bunch of location scouting yesterday, and dinking around at Stagecoach for about an hour, I decided to go back out there after work today and spend some more time there, and explore more of the area. I got there about 6:00pm, giving me a little less than 2 hours to fish. Started out working the pool below the concrete retaining wall west of the dam. I was using a cheap little blue and white plastic tube body on a lead jig head, using a spinning reel and medium action pole. Got nothing, switched to a chartreuse green tube body and got one hit and had something on for a couple of seconds, but lost it. I'm not actually convinced it was a fish, because a few minutes later I noticed a turtle drifting around right about where that happened. It's rare in my experience, but I have "caught" a turtle before that bit into a fishing lure.

Switched to a green/black bodied Beetle Spin and cast around that area some more and got nothing.

I walked around to my right, through the rocks/trees what-not and circled my way down to just beside the bridge, and spent some time casting into the main channel of the creek, and parallel to the bank, back up towards the pool area. Nothing.

Walked under the Stagecoach Road bridge and cast back up under the bridge, working the area around the bridge pilings. Nothing.

Went a little further downstream, casting across the channel and down the channel. Nothing.

Lost my Beetle Spin to a snag, so cut the line and retreated back to the spot on the other side of the bridge that I was at before. Switched to a chartreuse green worm rigged what I've heard referred to as the "janky rig". Basically, it's a Texas rig, but you either use a fat worm with no tail, or cut the tail off a regular worm, and then plug a nail weight up into the butt-end of the worm. Tried a bunch of casting up under the bridge and then letting the current take the bait downstream before starting to work it back to me. Tried reel-pause-reel, walk-the-dog, pause-rip, etc., etc. Nada. Nothing. Meanwhile, the guys across the bank from me seemed to be pulling in a fish every couple of minutes. Dis-spiriting for sure. But they said they were fishing for catfish, so a different game really.

Anyway, nightfall was coming on close to 8:00 so I bailed. I made a few final casts from that spot on the retaining wall where I started, and got nothing there either.

All in all it was disappointing to come back skunked, as it always is. But on the other hand, I'm not *too* worried as this is a new spot for me, that I only fished for the first time yesterday. I don't know the area, what baits work well, which spots are good and when, or even what all species of fish you can catch here. I'm assuming NHC has Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass, various small sunfish / brim / etc., and I've heard references on this forum to people catching White Bass, Pickerel and other stuff in this creek. But it'll take me a while to figure out what I'm doing. I also have essentially NO experience fishing in running water, as all my my fishing in my youth was in farm ponds that were so still they were borderline stagnant swamp water.

Nonetheless, it was a fine way to spend 2 hours of my time during this whole "lockdown" period. And I will be back out there, probably later this week, for another go.
    Abert43, Bleedingblue, and SurfRider like this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm sorry you're not finding fish yet, but good on you for sticking with it. That's how you find the gems in the scree. If I were fishing small water with no clue what to use, I would go with a wacky rigged short senko in a natural color, or a Texas rigged weightless or 1/16 oz weight zoom U-tail worm in something like chartreuse pepper, green pumpkin, or watermelon magic, or a light weight shaky head with a thin profile worm like a zoom swamp crawler in green pumpkin. Slightly larger ponds with grass, I'd think about a soft platstic craw like zoom UV speed craw, rigged either Texas rig or shaky head.

Your tenacity is refreshing, and I like to help where I can for folks willing to just get out and try to make it happen. Hang in there!

PS-
    That said, I'm going to fish more than just New Hope Creek. I think I'll try either or both of the Upper and Lower Little Creek impoundments this weekend. And visits to University Lake and/or Cane Creek Reservoir are going to come eventually.
    Within these two sentences you have some good options. There's gold in them there hills. Sent you a follow up PM today.
    Bleedingblue, and mindcrime like this.

- Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

If I may suggest a lure for the creek fishing get a Rebel teeny craw. You'll need a light action rod and no larger than 6lb test to throw it any distance but just cast and reel. If you can bump it into any cover that's ideal but you can catch fish just swimming it. Just reel it slow and let it swing in the current. It has proven absolutely deadly in small streams for me. It is such a small profile that the sunfish can easily eat it and even larger bass will readily hit it. For pond fishing you might want to PM Spidey. He has excellent luck on ponds. Good luck and hope you find some fish soon.
    mindcrime, and SurfRider like this.

Tight lines,
    Andrew

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedingblue View Post
    If I may suggest a lure for the creek fishing get a Rebel teeny craw. You'll need a light action rod and no larger than 6lb test to throw it any distance but just cast and reel. If you can bump it into any cover that's ideal but you can catch fish just swimming it. Just reel it slow and let it swing in the current. It has proven absolutely deadly in small streams for me. It is such a small profile that the sunfish can easily eat it and even larger bass will readily hit it. For pond fishing you might want to PM Spidey. He has excellent luck on ponds. Good luck and hope you find some fish soon.
    Thanks. I think I may have a couple of those buried in my tackle box somewhere. If not, I'll see if I can pick up a couple soon. Thanks for the tip!

I have used rooster tails spinners in that stretch in the past and have caught small pickerel and plenty on sunfish,
    mindcrime, and SurfRider like this.

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements