Oak Hollow 3-22 and 3-29: Excellent Fishing Continues

Thread: Oak Hollow 3-22 and 3-29: Excellent Fishing Continues

Default Oak Hollow 3-22 and 3-29: Excellent Fishing Continues

With all the COVID madness you can't have too many fishing reports, IMO, so enjoy.

3-22:
    It was a cold day but the fishing was hot. Conditions weren't ideal but I was hoping to find a few fish. I hooked a decent fish in the first 20 minutes then continued to pick up a bite here and there. Was doing most of my damage, as usual on a spinnerbait. Was running it out from between a forked log and saw a big fish come up and eat it. To my credit I did wait till it had it and not pull it away from the fish. The fish was 6-2 (21.5"). There was about 2 hours left in the day and I had spent most of it fishing water under 60 degrees. I pulled into a cove I hadn't fished and it was 62. At this point the fishing got very hot. Landed 3 in that cove including a 4-4. Went to another spot I hadn't fished and landed 4 more with 3 of them between 3-9 and 3-12. I got 12 bass on the day and the end of the day was special. Water temps from 58-63 visibility about 2 feet.

3-29:
    Weather was radically different. Air was in the 80's and the wind was ridiculous it was gusting to 30+ mph. Spoke with a guy at the ramp and he said he got a 9-3 the day before and he has spoken to another fisherman who got one over 10. Needless to say I was enthused. Went to the back of my favorite creek and water was 75 degrees where it was shallow and muddy. Fished over an hour without a bite. I was within 50 feet of the spot I caught the 8-8 several weeks ago and hooked my first fish which ended up being 7-0 (22.5"). It was a great fight, the fish took drag, ran under the boat, and jumped all over. Moved to the area where I caught the 6-2 the previous week and it was just messed up with big wind driven waves and muddy banks. Did catch a dink though. Added one near 4 on a square bill. Hit a couple places that I did good on last week and added another over 3+. Decided to finish the day braving the wind and added two more with another over 3. Ended up with 7 fish for the day. Water temps from 61-75, visibility about 1.5 feet.

One comment on COVID. I saw fishermen doing great with distancing but the park at the marina was packed. I saw kids all over the playground and people on the fishing dock very close together. I am hoping that doesn't get the lake closed because it is fishing fantastic. Finally, the lake has closed the marina office and you have to call a number to pay your launch fee. It was easy to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	6-2 (21.5)-1.jpg‎
Views:	195
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	197075 Click image for larger version.

Name:	4-4 (1).jpg‎
Views:	176
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	197077 Click image for larger version.

Name:	7-0 (22.5)-3.jpg‎
Views:	174
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	197079 Click image for larger version.

Name:	7-0 (22.5)-2.jpg‎
Views:	207
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	197081

Tight lines,
    Andrew

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Wow! Some excellent fishing indeed, nicely done!!
    Bleedingblue likes this.

Red X Angler
    There is always a way

Default Oak Hollow 3-22 and 3-29: Excellent Fishing Continues

Man, Andrew.... you caught more bass over 6 pounds in two days of fishing than I ever have in more than a year's time. I definitely have the saltwater bug now, and have been fishing more offshore as well, but I still miss my Piedmont reservoir bass fishing. Hope you and your family are well!

EDIT:
    Pence will turn 8 this summer, and he's now caught his first bull red and his first grouper. They were too heavy for him to lift so the pictures weren't great, but he's definitely got the fever.

Abert43, Bleedingblue, and Fishscalz like this.

- Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SurfRider View Post
    Man, Andrew.... you caught more bass over 6 pounds in two days of fishing than I ever have in more than a year's time. I definitely have the saltwater bug now, and have been fishing more offshore as well, but I still miss my Piedmont reservoir bass fishing. Hope you and your family are well!

EDIT:
    Pence will turn 8 this summer, and he's now caught his first bull red and his first grouper. They were too heavy for him to lift so the pictures weren't great, but he's definitely got the fever.
    Glad you have finally cracked the code for the saltwater fishing there. I love the pictures of Pence. I'd still love to catch a big red like that. It has been my best spring ever for big fish. It's not gonna last much longer but it has been a great ride.
    Tight lines,
    Andrew

Nice job, Pence! And you too, Sam..

Thanks Jerry! Hope you and Mary are doing well! If either of you guys ever get a chance to get down to this area, if I have a little advance notice I can take off from work and I'd be happy to take you out to the salty side of the world.
    - Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

Now we know who has been catching them all at OHL! Nice work. Still learning OHL after moving to Jamestown a couple years ago. We spend most trips at Townsend till it gets hot then we tube and wake board at OHL since it's sooo convenient to Jtown.
    Bleedingblue likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lunkerbandit View Post
    Now we know who has been catching them all at OHL! Nice work. Still learning OHL after moving to Jamestown a couple years ago. We spend most trips at Townsend till it gets hot then we tube and wake board at OHL since it's sooo convenient to Jtown.
    It can be a feast or famine kind of lake but it has a good population of big fish which I like. I avoided it for years despite the convenience and focused on Randleman. I started fishing it (and City Lake) more when the new lake boom started subsiding at Randleman. I think the fishing has improved a lot in the past few years and I strongly believe that it has to do with the large number of trees that dropped in the lake from the most recent ice storm. I still only fish it regularly from Feb-May and then pick up again in Oct-Dec. When the weather gets good it gets too crowded and many of the pleasure boaters don't respect the fishing only areas. It is best to go to City Lake or Randleman and avoid the crowds. (to be fair Randleman gets crowded too but it is big enough that it isn't as challenging to deal with)
    lunkerbandit likes this.

Tight lines,
    Andrew

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements