New Hanover ramps closed - Please send the county a note to protest - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: New Hanover ramps closed - Please send the county a note to protest

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Roper
    Posts
    55

    Default

    It's surprising that anyone on what you would think is a message board of folks who adamantly support the Constitution and the individual God given rights to freedom and liberty are so willing to just accept this for what it is. If people want to gather in groups, hang out on pontoons, or sit on a sandbar with their friends and family, its their right to choose to do so, whether its a bad choice or not. Constitutional principles are based upon free will and your right to suffer or reap the benefits of your choices (these are also those of a Christian belief system which I imagine many of you also espouse) If you don't want to participate because of the danger, then don't, but don't prevent anyone else who does.

    Accepting the "reality of the situation" is exactly what has lead the temporary use of government control to become a permanent fixture worldwide; and exactly why our nation's reluctance to any government control historically kept us living free. If you are not aware of of how these concessions have lead to the permanent loss of freedom from a historical perspective, I suggest you become so informed, because there is much more at stake right now than loss of fishing access. The only thing that will return normalcy to our lives is everyone who is able returning to their normal life.
    mindcrime likes this.


  2. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Holly Springs & Oriental, NC
    Posts
    1,346

    Default

    So why do we have laws for drugs, prostitution, speeding etc? Should not that be their free will decision?

    2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO; 2015 Beavertail Vengeance, Suzuki DF90;
    Jackson Coosa FD; Native Ultimate 14.5; CCA Member

  4. #18
    cervus is offline
    Angler Member
    Kayak Angler
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Red Springs
    Posts
    253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoaldonkey View Post
    It's surprising that anyone on what you would think is a message board of folks who adamantly support the Constitution and the individual God given rights to freedom and liberty are so willing to just accept this for what it is. If people want to gather in groups, hang out on pontoons, or sit on a sandbar with their friends and family, its their right to choose to do so, whether its a bad choice or not. Constitutional principles are based upon free will and your right to suffer or reap the benefits of your choices (these are also those of a Christian belief system which I imagine many of you also espouse) If you don't want to participate because of the danger, then don't, but don't prevent anyone else who does.

    Accepting the "reality of the situation" is exactly what has lead the temporary use of government control to become a permanent fixture worldwide; and exactly why our nation's reluctance to any government control historically kept us living free. If you are not aware of of how these concessions have lead to the permanent loss of freedom from a historical perspective, I suggest you become so informed, because there is much more at stake right now than loss of fishing access. The only thing that will return normalcy to our lives is everyone who is able returning to their normal life.
    Unbelievable. It's also your right to freely swing your fist wherever you want to in your pursuit of happiness. However, your right to swing your fist ends abruptly where my nose begins. It's a scientific fact that reducing human interaction significantly reduces the virus's spread. This is not about individual rights, this is about a pandemic with deadly consequences. Your argument is nothing but a red herring. Be safe.

    Teach a man to fish and he'll give away all your good spots.
    Feetup1, ice cream man, and Wellred like this.


  5. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hyde County
    Posts
    4

    Default

    It's my right not to have selfish knukleheads from out of the area spread their nasty little virus where I live. If there is anything I've learned from this is that Americans are selfish and stupid with no regard to those around them.

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,012

    Default

    Its been interesting to see the divide in opinion on this. It seems like it's about 50/50 - those who would argue that we should take a moderate approach and simply enforce a few reasonable laws, vs. those who would prefer a drastic approach and shut everything down completely, regardless of the specific risk of the activity. I'm obviously in the former camp, but it is clear that there are those on this forum in the latter.

    I'm even hearing of people reporting their neighbors to the police for walking on the beach . . . alone, and challenging people who are getting in their cars to go somewhere asking if it's an "essential" trip. Now the beaches are issuing citations for people walking on the beach, even though they are walking alone. Crazy stuff.

    Ramps here are scheduled to open on Monday. In the spirit of prudence and obedience, I've made the decision not to challenge this at this point, though I'm hearing of plenty of folks doing so.

    Having said that, if the county and local governments continue to push further, I'm thinking that we need to organize a day of civil disobedience. Pick a day and publicly push back on the regulations that are clear government overreach. Show up at every beach access, every boat ramp, and with more than the required amount of "social distancing," remind our public servants that if they push their authority too far, we will push back.

    I really hope that our governments will make prudent decisions going forward, but I have to say that I'm increasingly alarmed at what I am seeing.

    I hope they know how incredibly close they are to that kind of reaction. Even for those of you who are
    mindcrime likes this.


  8. #21
    sporkd2 is offline
    Angler Member
    Kayak Angler
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Cary
    Posts
    574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmonster View Post
    Having said that, if the county and local governments continue to push further, I'm thinking that we need to organize a day of civil disobedience. Pick a day and publicly push back on the regulations that are clear government overreach. Show up at every beach access, every boat ramp, and with more than the required amount of "social distancing," remind our public servants that if they push their authority too far, we will push back.

    I really hope that our governments will make prudent decisions going forward, but I have to say that I'm increasingly alarmed at what I am seeing.

    I hope they know how incredibly close they are to that kind of reaction. Even for those of you who are
    I'm not going to add points to the main debate here, many have said what I would have. I agree with this 100% no matter what your opinion is on anything. I really feel if more people did this not only when it gets this bad, but got out into the streets for all issues that effect us as individuals or as a community the people in power would be much more careful about their actions. So going forward, if the people over you are over extending their power, do something about it right away. Organize and show them what the power of people can do, just please do it in a non violent way.
    Training for retirement since 1983

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmonster View Post
    Its been interesting to see the divide in opinion on this. It seems like it's about 50/50 - those who would argue that we should take a moderate approach and simply enforce a few reasonable laws, vs. those who would prefer a drastic approach and shut everything down completely, regardless of the specific risk of the activity. I'm obviously in the former camp, but it is clear that there are those on this forum in the latter.

    I'm even hearing of people reporting their neighbors to the police for walking on the beach . . . alone, and challenging people who are getting in their cars to go somewhere asking if it's an "essential" trip. Now the beaches are issuing citations for people walking on the beach, even though they are walking alone. Crazy stuff.

    Ramps here are scheduled to open on Monday. In the spirit of prudence and obedience, I've made the decision not to challenge this at this point, though I'm hearing of plenty of folks doing so.

    Having said that, if the county and local governments continue to push further, I'm thinking that we need to organize a day of civil disobedience. Pick a day and publicly push back on the regulations that are clear government overreach. Show up at every beach access, every boat ramp, and with more than the required amount of "social distancing," remind our public servants that if they push their authority too far, we will push back.

    I really hope that our governments will make prudent decisions going forward, but I have to say that I'm increasingly alarmed at what I am seeing.

    I hope they know how incredibly close they are to that kind of reaction. Even for those of you who are
    I'm ok with easing the restrictions but only after our hospitals and doctors have all the equipment and protection they need and I can get face masks that work, effective disenfectants, etc.. Insisting on going fishing, boating, or whatever until that happens, is foolhardy. You may be willing to risk your life but I'm not willing to say ok. If you get the virus, you may be taking a test, or respirator or hospital bed needed for people who've been careful but got it anyway. And, you could infect everyone you've been in contact with for many days before you get symptoms, as well as endangering medical workers.

    Lets chill and let's get through this.

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    rocky mount
    Posts
    1,820

    Default

    Greenmoster , come on up here , me and chad are wide open and and would love for you to help us catch some of these fish !!!

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    rocky mount
    Posts
    1,820

    Default Monday spec

    Greenmonster , some from our most recent trip monday
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_0188.jpg‎
Views:	61
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	197169 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_0190.jpg‎
Views:	61
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	197171 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_0191.jpg‎
Views:	61
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	197173
    GreyGhost, and luvfpitch like this.


  12. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    14

    Default

    So are you all all ok with PPE going to prisons/prisoners instead of hospitals? Because they are.....as well as releasing prisoners.......

  13. #26
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kernersville
    Posts
    26

    Default

    What’s going to happen is that certain ramps will close and force people to use other ramps, which will make the open ones more crowded... and increase the chances of getting them shut down as well. Leaving them ALL open will be safer, in my opinion, because of this reason.

  14. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Roper
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NCTribute View Post
    So why do we have laws for drugs, prostitution, speeding etc? Should not that be their free will decision?
    These are laws, not rights. Your right to assembly is covered by the 1st Amendment, your right to be secured on private property, covered by the 4th, and your right to travel covered by the 5th. What you are referring to is under the 10th, which is why you see laws different from state to state. The state cannot not by the supreme law of the land, the US Constitution, take away from your rights. There were no provisions for how scary the world gets, or how much you may personally not like what another is doing.

  15. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Pelt View Post
    Greenmoster , come on up here , me and chad are wide open and and would love for you to help us catch some of these fish !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Pelt View Post
    Greenmonster , some from our most recent trip monday

    On my way!! Man I miss fishing with my Pamlico friends. Now that I have the boat back, fully restored and new shoes on her trailer I am itching for some pamlico fishing!

  16. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    14

    Default

    They heard you—-RE-OPENED!
    mindcrime likes this.


  17. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts