Main Forage in French Broad Near Ashville

Thread: Main Forage in French Broad Near Ashville

Default Main Forage in French Broad Near Ashville

Was wondering what the main forage minnows and other bait is found on the FB Near Ashville (shiner species, stone rollers, chubs? Mad toms?)

Also curious what colors people prefer for crayfish imitations?

Thanks!

Also if anyone finds a rod/reel combo on section 8 let me know. Dropped my favorite combo into some deeper water today midway to Barnard and there was no chance to retrieve it. Figured it will probably never get found but worth a shot!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Most of the guides up there like a dark Brown or Green Crawfish color. As far as forage goes, I have caught SM Bass on White and Chartreuse Clowsers, Black poppers,White poppers, Chartreuse poppers dark colored jigs, White spinners and Blue dragonfly patterns

Main forage in the river is stone rollers, river chubs, creek chubs and hog suckers.

Up some of the smaller creeks the forage switches more to stone rollers, darters, daces, sculpins and lampreys.

Stocked trout comprise some forage where they are stocked

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gambusia View Post
    Main forage in the river is stone rollers, river chubs, creek chubs and hog suckers.

Up some of the smaller creeks the forage switches more to stone rollers, darters, daces, sculpins and lampreys.

Stocked trout comprise some forage where they are stocked
    Thanks Gambusia. I take you it fish the river often? I just started and have been struggling with the transition to such big water. Throwing swim flies to bank structure has not been producing much and I have not really had any good luck in shallow water I general. Although it seems the fish should be there this tome of year? Have fishing through the Biltmore area and through town down to the dam and pulled some fish but nothing like I would normally expect. Any tips of what to look for in terms of structure/current/depth would be much appreciated. Did lose one absolute beast in a swimbait in some deeper slack behind a rock shoal. But I have been struggling!!!
    gambusia likes this.

What are you wanting to catch?

In my experience the bigger black bass are in the bigge, deeper holes (along with the bigger catfish) where they can lay and ambush any passing prey out of the main current.

Usually catch only smaller bass and sunfish out of the shallow runs

Quote Originally Posted by gambusia View Post
    What are you wanting to catch?

In my experience the bigger black bass are in the bigge, deeper holes (along with the bigger catfish) where they can lay and ambush any passing prey out of the main current.

Usually catch only smaller bass and sunfish out of the shallow runs
    I am a smallmouth guy mainly. Have fished the Toe and (English) Broad now and done decent at both since the water has been up on the French Broad. There seems to be a lot of 6 foot+ deep water and have been struggling to figure out how to target it and all of the deeper ledges I am seeing that cross the river. Used to fishing shallower & narrower rivers in general where fish related to visible structure mid river (big boulders) and the bank a lot, lot easier to read thats for sure.

Might just take me a get to get it more patterned, excited for the temps to go up and water to go down and start throwing some topwater bugs into the shade, eddies and wood cover.
    gambusia likes this.

My two favorite ways to fish the river are drifting live bait or casting rebel crawfish lures
    past likely ambush spots.

So yes do what you plan

Smart idea to wait till the water drops

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements