Lake High Point City Lake 4/5 and 4/6

Thread: High Point City Lake 4/5 and 4/6

Default High Point City Lake 4/5 and 4/6

Finished up a night shift and headed to the lake early Monday morning. Id been to HPCL before but never during the springtime. High for the day was in the 70s. Water temp 66 degrees, 3 feet visibility at the ramp, less higher up in the lake. Paying the launch fee was a breeze over the phone (glad they are staying open/safe with this COVID-19 business). Nothing for the first three hours other than a few that chased but wouldn’t commit. I switched from straight braid to a fluoro leader. Got thumped in a small pocket close to the main lake and landed a 5lber on a texas rigged creature bait (black/blue).

Kept going on the eastern part of the lake looking for wind protected areas, partially because I thought the fish prefer such areas but mostly because I was getting blown around in the yak. Wound up catching 4 more in the 1-2 lb range, all on brush hogs and various other creature baits. Broke one off on a spinnerbait.

I returned the next day for a longer paddle higher up in the lake. Water was warmer (70 degrees), and definitely muddier. Wasn’t able to find fish, and my phone was letting me know there was lightning heading my way. As a side note, I highly recommend Lightning Pro or some other app if you’re going to be out on the lake not under power. You can set it to alert you if lightning is within a certain range. Ive been caught in the thick of it once before on the wrong end of Salem lake and Id rather not be there again.

Made it back to the ramp in about 30 minutes and let the storm blow by, luckily a bit further north than expected. Spent a little while nearby in the Deep River. No fish for the day but I did run into what I think were some otters (3 in the picture below) as well as three snakes and a snapping turtle which held onto my bait all the way back to the boat before ripping it in half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OKSt View Post
    Wasn’t able to find fish, and my phone was letting me know there was lightning heading my way. As a side note, I highly recommend Lightning Pro or some other app if you’re going to be out on the lake not under power. You can set it to alert you if lightning is within a certain range. Ive been caught in the thick of it once before on the wrong end of Salem lake and Id rather not be there again.
    Good idea. FWIW, NC ranks pretty high on the "lightning strike fatalities per year" list. http://lightningsafety.com/nlsi_lls/fatalities_us.html

Me and a buddy got caught out in one of those quick arriving thunderstorms once at Lake Crabtree County Park while mountain biking. We didn't get hit by lightning, but it started to hail while we were out there, and it was a brutal experience getting back to our trucks. One of the worst experiences of my life. Thunderstorms are no joke.
    OKSt, and SurfRider like this.

Nice fish. Thanks for sharing.

Did you put on the deep river downstream of the lake?
    Tight lines,
    Andrew

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nice fish. I like that area north of the East Fork Bridge. Those fish see a lot of lures so I think your decision to use a flouro leader was a good one. That lake can be moody, but there are some pigs in it!
    jerry condrey likes this.

- Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

7. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements