Any Carpers still around

Thread: Any Carpers still around

Default Any Carpers still around

I've decided after a year or two of mulling things over to take up Euro Style carp fishing. I have seen a few posts in the past on here about carp fishing in the Raleigh area, but nothing really recent and was just wondering if any of the guys are still around. I would love to go fishing with some more experienced carp anglers and meet some new people. I'm not really into the Paylake scene and I want to fish for wild carp so its a little harder to find the wild carp guys, lol.
    carpio likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I used to target carp when I lived in Chicago. Caught many 20+ lb. At my one spot there was a guy that was all out European style carp fishing. Special rod holders, bite detectors, sling shot bait distributor, specially prepared baits, etc. etc. Honestly I used to outfish the guy using canned corn.

Im down to going with you if you have some spots to try. I’m in Youngsville.
    ~JOE~
    carpio, FishingDad, and jcarpenter like this.

Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Apropos of nothing, I was watching a video on Youtube earlier today, of some guys "fishing" for carp using the bow-fishing technique. Not sure that's exactly my cup of tea, but I can see how it might be fun every now and again.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Bowfishing is not catch and release,�� and those of us who recognize carp as a fine sportfish will not, obviously, share our locations or catches on this board.
    anyone who wants to let them go, please pm me, I’d be most happy to do what I can to help.

You may find that the Carp Anglers Group (on Facebook or at www.carpanglersgroup.com) has a wide range of information on tactics, gear, Bait etc. sweetcorn is a wonderful bait for carp anywhere (and also loved by many other fish(!}..

The most popular spot in the Raleigh area to catch a carp is Lake Crabtree, you will often see one of us on a pier or the dam area when COVID regs permit. We would love you to join us.

Euro style carp fishing doesn’t mean “boily fishing” either. Many of us use euro gear and paylake tactics , or part of that. Packbait is a great leveler! Sort of “Eurolaker” approach. I have caught most of my NC fish on maize (real or plastic) and similar vegetable baits.

I saw this post and wanted to share a recent experience we had a couple weeks ago. I was meeting my son and his buddy to head out to Falls lake on my jon boat. They were at a local lake in Wake County with a couple other friends. My son was "carp fishing" for the first time with corn on lite tackle when I arrived. I was just hanging out drinking coffee and talking too much as I normally do. Then my son hooked into a nice size carp. He got it up to the bank but the line gave out, I think it was 8 pound test line.

At that point, it was time for me to wet a line also on lite tackle. Grabbed my pole and baited up with corn. In about 15 minutes my son and I doubled up. He caught a size common carp and I caught what I later discovered was a mirror carp. Both were released unharmed. Too Much Fun!

I am by no means an expert or for that matter, even familiar with carp fishing but I do believe most ponds, lakes and reservoirs in the Piedmont area have common carp. It's my understanding grass carp are much more difficult to catch on hook and line. If anyone has firsthand knowledge on this, I would love to know.

Note mask and no haircut... Covid-19
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mirror Carp (2).jpg‎ 
Views:	134 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	197795  
    Last edited by TomnNC; 06-15-2020 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Had 2 pics - Removed one
    carpio likes this.

A local mirror is very special, you were blessed by the carp gods!
    Grass carp can be tricky, or easy...... they will often eat corn, bread on the top...
    And they can get huge in some of the city lakes!
    Have fun.....

Thank you Carpio. I thought it was a mutant carp until I researched it online.

I tried a few additional carp outings following that experience but haven't had any success. Definitely a lot of fun, great fighting fish.
    carpio likes this.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements