King mackerel

Thread: King mackerel

Default King mackerel

After some initial beginners luck king mackerel fishing I entered a drought. I'd like to go and give it a good try again. I know they make a fall run, but what time of year do y'all think would be a kayakers best bet trolling off shore over an artificial reef?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Kings can be caught all year around,although they tend to run bigger in the fall when the Medhaden run. This time of year is when the Spanish start running thick and you might have a better chance of catching a Spanish for the next few months. No clue where you're fishing,but we always found the Spanish from right off the beach to a couple of miles out. We always had the best luck trolling either up on shoals or right along the edge of shoals.
    Good Luck

Thanks. I hooked two and lost them my first time out and have longed to catch one ever since. I like going to Atlantic Beach, but I've heard lots about Yaupon Reef. Maybe a summer trip would be good? I know they catch them off of the pier.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Water temp 65+ ideally 70-72ish. If there are blues and menhaden, then Kings will be typically be around. Yaupon reef/Oak Island good spot, easy surf conditions usually, and usually lots of yakers to help you there. Drag menhaden long enough around in these conditions and you'll get one. Good luck...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	King.jpg‎
Views:	156
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	197299
    crappie89 likes this.

Right on! I've actually weighed that back and forth. I'm familiar with Atlantic Beach reef. It's the same distance from shore, but I've heard a lot about yak guys fishing Yaupon. Do you think it's so productive being located so close to the Cape Fear delta? Is there a place you can purchase live menhaden? I'd love to give that a try, but I'm terrible with a cast net.

This time of year, you might be better off using a Bluefish if you can catch one. The Pogies this time of year arent as concentrated and tend to be smaller than the ones you see in the fall Pogie runs

I've heard that about blues. Daisy chains have done well for me. I generally like getting in the water early and AB chasin tails opens early. Any good bait shops in oak island I can hit before 7? Thanks for all the input. I'm torn between AR 315 and trying Yaupon.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements