A Nice Day Of Social Distancing

Thread: A Nice Day Of Social Distancing

Default A Nice Day Of Social Distancing

With nothing better to do, I took off Wednesday afternoon to my local hotspot with the flyrod. I took the 3 wt because the weather weenies said the wind was going to drop out (Effing LIARS).
    I got there and the wind was blowing a steady 25 with gusts up over 30. That made for some tough casting with a 7.5 ft 3 wt. I started in a little pond that is kind of out of the wind and first cast, caught a small bass. Very promising! I caught several small Bream and another tiny Bass. I walked over to the big pond and started working my way down the bank. The wind was directly in my face and my first few casts ended up in a pile at my feel. I changed my cast up a bit to a more sidearm approach and started getting some distance. I started catching nice Bream almost immediately. I was using a new Hopper pattern that I had been working with #16 dropper about 2 feet beneath it. The dropper was on a #16 curved scud hook,a couple of spikes of mink fur as a tail, Grey Whisper chenille,a copper bead head and a couple of copper wire wraps. The fish seemed to LOVE that dropper. I caught 2 fish on the hopper and the rest on the dropper.
    I hit 2 spots on the first bank where I caught 7-8 fish on as many casts. Now, here is where it got interesting. I had unhooked a Bream and released it, and kind of flipped the flies back into the water, right at my feet. A little Bass,about 5 inches long smacked the dropper and took off. I pulled him in, unhooked him and slipped him back in the water. He just sat there. I flipped the flies back in the water and he came over and smacked the dropper AGAIN. I kind of laughed at the little guy, pulled him in and released him again. Again, he just sat there. I flipped the flies a little further away and that little dummy, went over and smacked the dropper a third time. Again, I chuckled and threw him back. He kind of sunk out of sight. 2 casts later as I pulled the flies up to the bank, that same little Bass ate my dropper. How do I know it was the same fish? He had the holes in his mouth from the last unhookings. All I can say was he was a pugnacious little guy and with that attitude will either die young or be the baddest azz Bass in the pond .
    All in all, I caught 30 or so Bream, over half of them nice Bream, the rest were small to medium size. I'm still chuckling about that little Bass.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG-3539.jpg‎
Views:	315
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	197377 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG-3540.jpg‎
Views:	317
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	197379 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG-3541.jpg‎
Views:	314
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	197381 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG-3536.jpg‎
Views:	316
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	197373 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG-3538.jpg‎
Views:	316
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	197375

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Good stuff. Got to love the fight in those little guys!
    "What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

Quote Originally Posted by crappie89 View Post
    Good stuff. Got to love the fight in those little guys!
    Pound for pound, I would match up a bluegill against any fish
    crappie89 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Gotta love fly fishing for bluegill!!
    Red X Angler
    There is always a way

Love catching them...caught a nice one today...but he just happened to inhale a bass sized one and I was on the 7wt...so not as fun. Just glad to catch a fish in the middle of the city.

Their mouths are small but their hearts are huge. And they taste go good fried with a mess of grits. Whitefish115

Let the wind keep blowing if you catch bluegills like that! And they taste so good fried up with a mess of grits- about as good as eating gets- frog legs are their only equal and frog legs have that same fantastic “aftertaste” like bluegills. And it is hard to overfish those little fish. They are like bunny rabbits. Whitefish115

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements