Where to take kid fishing?

Thread: Where to take kid fishing?

Default Where to take kid fishing?

I've been having a hard time finding places to fish with my son who just turned seven. Not catching anything, just can't wrap my head around it. Never had such bad 'luck'. We have kayaks, live in Rockingham, willing to go anywhere, ideally a place we can also camp. But day trip options greatly appreciated also.

Wondering if anyone might suggest, here or message, any places we could take them, any ponds, city lakes, bigger lakes or public places. Any particular areas of Badin to launch from? We went to Kerr Scott Reservoir several times camping last fall caught nothing. Just took him down to Savannah Georgia this week, just got home from 5 days camping, windy and no fish caught. Last time he didn't even want to cast, made some comment about no fish here..

He's losing interest fast which really bothers me. I'm willing to go anywhere in North Carolina at this point. Thanks for any suggestions you might have. I have clearly lost my mojo, lol.

Dan
    2016 Kencraft Bay Rider 2260 w/Yamaha 150
    NuCanoe Frontier 12 ><(((((*>

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

As far as Badin goes, in the next few weeks you should be able to put in at the Circle Drive ramp and catch plenty of fish as they will be chasing shad within site of the ramp.

If you want to camp on Badin, look up the campgrounds in the Uwharrie National Forest.

To "hook" your son on fishing, target pan fish using worms or things like Gulp crickets under bobbers or a Bitsy Minnow lure for casting and reeling. This time of year along the banks of most any lake or pond, you should score.
    Bleedingblue, and hellomcfly2 like this.

"I've gotta stop wishin, I've got to go fishin!"

Thanks I really appreciate it. I will look that boat ramp up. I took the kids fishing yesterday at Badin at the boat ramp by the Arrowhead Campground. we fish for an hour and a half without a single bite. We also rode to a few kayak access points near Norwood and Clark creek access which I had never seen below the tillery dam. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. when I first joined this page there would be dozens of folks chiming in. Seems things have changed a little bit.
    2016 Kencraft Bay Rider 2260 w/Yamaha 150
    NuCanoe Frontier 12 ><(((((*>

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I've been having a hard time finding places to fish with my son who just turned seven. Not catching anything, just can't wrap my head around it. Never had such bad 'luck'. We have kayaks, live in Rockingham, willing to go anywhere, ideally a place we can also camp. But day trip options greatly appreciated also.

Wondering if anyone might suggest, here or message, any places we could take them, any ponds, city lakes, bigger lakes or public places. Any particular areas of Badin to launch from? We went to Kerr Scott Reservoir several times camping last fall caught nothing. Just took him down to Savannah Georgia this week, just got home from 5 days camping, windy and no fish caught. Last time he didn't even want to cast, made some comment about no fish here..

He's losing interest fast which really bothers me. I'm willing to go anywhere in North Carolina at this point. Thanks for any suggestions you might have. I have clearly lost my mojo, lol.

Dan
    You could launch kayaks from up at the dam at Badin. Then just a short distance down river there is an island (left side when going down river). Would be a decent, primitive camp spot. Nice area for catfish.

Short distance = only like 500yds.

Hopefully you can get him on some action soon. I agree with targeting panfish for the young fisherman. More action for them is the best way to go... then you can take a few of them and use them for bait for cats or bass. I recommend circle hooks for the cats and bass, that way if dad and son are distracted or busy, the circles do the work of setting the hook and rarely gut hook. Once he is old enough to cast and retrieve consistently, that is more active but more chances of snags and tangles... my kids are 10 and 8, and I let them do that only if the conditions are good... IE lots of small/medium fish to catch w a jig and gulp minnow tail and in areas that aren't very "snaggy."
    Good luck, its about prime time for most species.

I concur with the above. Bucket full of crickets a bobber and a weighted jig head on the banks of most any water body in your area ought to give him plenty of action.
    AKA: Soilman

Id recommend that you stick with small ponds and lakes in your hometown initially. Find some good waters nearby and gradually expand to some bigger lakes and rivers as you outgrow pond fishing after a season or two.

I always loved fishing since I was little, but didnt start to get good at catching fish until the summer after 4th grade, when I met my first fishing buddy, Sam.

There was a small pond 1/2 mile past our grade school and I would spend many summer days hanging out with Sam at Forgey Park with a baggie of white bread, an ultra light rod, and a handful of hooks, weights and foam bobbers. We caught countless bream, a few bullheads, and an occasional carp on the bread. Sam also showed me how to bass fish using a live bream. We would sit on top of a culvert at the pond and hook the bream in the back with a plastic worm hook, then let it swim around 6-12 beneath the surface. It was always exciting to see the line move around in quick circles, as you knew the bream was about to get swallowed by one of the 3-5 lb bass that lived inside that culvert. Simple fishing really, but it lead to a lifelong love of the sport.

A few other recommendations:

1. If you want to learn a large body of water nearby, hire a local guide. They are the best at their craft and will put you on fish, plus they are happy to share their knowledge with you, as they want you to become repeat customers and refer friends and family, too.

2. Get the Fishbrain app. Its great for scouting local and unfamiliar waters, to see what is swimming nearby and how to catch it. For example, it tells me that Hinson Lake in Rockingham is popular and that a lot of people catch bream and bass near the Rotary Lodge (screen shots attached).

3. Come fishing with me sometime. Im in Pittsboro and fish on Jordan Lake, Shearon Harris, and the Cape Fear River frequently, plus I have a bunch of other spots Ive discovered over the years. Im sure I can put you and your son on fish somewhere. Just PM me and well work something out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a kayak, here's something a bit different. On the Lower Roanoke river, there is a paddling trail that has some platforms for camping. These platforms are pretty cool. They are normally about 20x20 and raised 3-5 feet off of the water. It does get buggy, so a Thermacell is almost a necessity. They are typically a pretty good paddle off the beaten track,but to get to them you paddle past some very prime fishing grounds. There are a few that are roughly a mile from a ramp.
    https://www.roanokeriverpartners.org/pf-home.aspx

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements