NC Angler Forums banner

Thoughts on the Intex Excursion 5 inflatable boat?

6K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Riggs 
#1 ·
Folks:

I'm currently boat-less, and buying a bass boat is out of the question for a variety of reasons. Even a Jon boat is questionable as I live in an apartment and have no place to park one. I'm a little iffy on kayaks for fishing, and so I keep circling around and around the idea of one of these inflatable flat-bottom boats. In particular I have my eye on this Intex Excursion 5. It's fairly cheap ($200.00) and as an inflatable I can keep it stored in my truck or in my apartment when it's not in use.

But before pulling the trigger I thought I'd check and see if any of you folks had any experience with this boat, or something similar.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMBJ1VE/?coliid=I3E4BW3O4KF3Q7&colid=2RSQOPVOF5ZG0&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

If I get one, I'd buy a decent trolling motor, battery (or "batteries" as the case may be), probably better oars (the reviews generally say the default oars are pretty dodgy), and get it registered and everything. The plan would be to use it as places like Lake Crabtree, Cane Creek Reservoir, Harris Lake, University Lake, Jordan Lake, etc. Basically the "usual suspects" that are near where I live. Or if I go back home to the coast to visit family, maybe I'd take it out on the Lockwoods Folly River or something.

See less See more
#2 ·
I know nothing about inflatables. I’m curious though as to why not a cheap kayak. Is it a storage issue? If you had to you could store it on top of your vehicle. Just chain and lock it. You could buy an entry level yak for about the same price and still be able to get some kind of $$ for it when you want to upgrade or get tired of it. Here is an entry level yak for just a few bucks more.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/ascend-9r-sport-sit-on-top-kayak

Every person I know that bought an inflatable ended up buying something else.
~JOE~

#3 ·
I’m curious though as to why not a cheap kayak
~JOE~
Not even slightly interested in a kayak for numerous reasons. Storing the kayak is one. Another is the lack of room to store gear *in* the kayak. Another is the notoriety kayaks have for being a bit unstable, and the last thing I'm interested in is going for an unexpected dip in the drink, along with whatever gear I do have with me.

Nah, for me, it's definitely going to be *some* kind of flat-bottomed boat. If not an inflatable, I'll buy a Jon boat and arrange with a friend to park it at their house or something. Or I'll upsize my storage unit to one that's big enough to store it in, and keep it there, and just transport it via roof mount (no trailer). But no... kayaks are not in the plan.

#4 ·
Ok. I hear you. I have been yak/canoe fishing for 30+ years. Never once went in the drink. New fishing kayaks are very stable and storage is not a problem at all. However I do understand your aversion to them. If I were you I would go the john boat route and avoid the inflatable. Trust me if getting off the bank and on the water is something you find you like you will end up buying another boat after you tire of the inflatable or it springs a leak.

I have 2 yaks and you are welcome to come out by me and we can get on the water to see how you like yak fishing.

~JOE~

#5 ·
Ok. I hear you. I have been yak/canoe fishing for 30+ years. Never once went in the drink. New fishing kayaks are very stable and storage is not a problem at all. However I do understand your aversion to them.
You're probably not as clumsy as I am. :D I don't even particularly like getting in and out of, and moving around in/on, flat-bottom boats. I'm not truly comfortable on a boat until you get to where you're talking about something like a 14' ski boat / bass boat or something larger. I just can't see me fishing out of a canoe / kayak or anything like that.

If I were you I would go the john boat route and avoid the inflatable. Trust me if getting off the bank and on the water is something you find you like you will end up buying another boat after you tire of the inflatable or it springs a leak.
I hear ya. If I had a proper yard with a place to park it, this wouldn't even be an issue. I saw a used Jon boat for sale on craigslist a few days ago that I'd already have, if storage wasn't an issue.

I have 2 yaks and you are welcome to come out by me and we can get on the water to see how you like yak fishing.
Whereabouts are you located? I mean, I'll try anything once, just for the heck of it. Well, almost anything...

#11 ·
Intex, in general, is junk.

It used to be, there was an auction in Hickory where you could buy customer returns sporting goods. I used to go there to buy things for myself, and for resale.

I did. And I became quite familiar with Intex products... And I wouldn't buy them. They are prone to leaking, tears, and just falling apart.

They can get you out to a place that they can't get you back from. I recommend avoiding like the plague.

On top of that... rubber rafts paddle like pigs. Do not move well at all.. And, like any watercraft, if you wish to put a motor on it, even a trolling motor, you need to register it. So $45/year to the state, and then you have to pay property taxes on a **** rubber raft.

There are some decent inflatable kayaks you can buy... But you are looking at $500+ for a good one. The under $300 ones are pretty much junk as well

#13 ·
I would be very cautious of a product made of ‘rugged vinyl’. That sounds like a contradiction to me. I would not expect to get more than 4 or 5 uses out of it before you have a puncture (inside OR outside) or split seams, especially if loading heavy batteries, trolling motors, cables, and then your fishing tackle. Even the high-end inflatable marine dinghies eventually leak, and require a lot of maintenance.

If a kayak is not an option for you, then a jon boat would be far more durable. If you want to go hard plastic, I think Pelican makes a plastic jon boat. Or you might want to consider the fiberglass 10 foot tri-hull Water Tender that West Marine and some sporting goods stores sell.

#15 ·
I have a inflatable kayak that is just about as stable as they come. Rated for 600lbs. Check it out and do a search on Youtube for reviews on this craft. Here is a link to the manufacturers site with a description.
https://www.aquaglide.com/product/blackfoot-angler-125-hb/
The whole thing is deflated and folded up setting in my condo garage. I have a storage problem also. I bought an extra seat for it so I can use it as a two person kayak. I also bought a 12 volt DC air pump for it.

I'm 71 yrs old now and don't use it much. Any forum members think they might be interested in it, send me a private message. I'll sell it for less than half what I got in it. It's in excellent condition.
IMG_0571.jpg

Attachments

#17 ·
I have a inflatable kayak that is just about as stable as they come. Rated for 600lbs. Check it out and do a search on Youtube for reviews on this craft. Here is a link to the manufacturers site with a description.
https://www.aquaglide.com/product/blackfoot-angler-125-hb/
The whole thing is deflated and folded up setting in my condo garage. I have a storage problem also. I bought an extra seat for it so I can use it as a two person kayak. I also bought a 12 volt DC air pump for it.

I'm 71 yrs old now and don't use it much. Any forum members think they might be interested in it, send me a private message. I'll sell it for less than half what I got in it. It's in excellent condition.
IMG_0571.jpg
That’s a pretty nice setup and looks pretty reliable , I’ve been giving the raft idea some thought as well. I’m in pretty much the same situation as the poster and have 2 lakes wishing a 1/2 mile of me I’d like to hit. Did you sale this boat? I’m a transplant patient from the coast and have a love for fishing and haven’t been able to go for over 5 years now other than a couple bank trips. I said I’m a blessed person just to be here and it’s been a battle but thanks to god I am here and I need to get back Into the water somehow. Being again in the spot of the poster after losing all I ever had and hime to give to health care live in an appt now w very little funds which is why I was looking at rafts to. But email me if you still have yours maybe it could possibly be something I may could do. dkriggs32@gmail.com

#16 ·
Kayaks are generally not unstable. Modern kayaks have primary and secondary stability. Primary stability describes their "tippiness" which is the flexibility that allows you to maneuver the kayak. Increased "tippiness" translates into greater maneuverability. Secondary stability describes the limits of the primary stability or the point at which the kayak wants to stop tipping, it's "capsize threshold". Most modern kayaks have a hard chine somewhere in the hull profile that provides that capsize threshold and makes it very difficult to "accidentally" overturn the kayak (You really have to work at it). Most beginners are unaware of the secondary stability and are unnerved by the tippiness of the primary stability. Paddle some kayaks and when you do, find some shallow water and explore their primary and secondary stability. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.