Spawning confusion

Thread: Spawning confusion

Default Spawning confusion

Ok, this may be a newbie question, but I'm truly confused here. They say "x species spawns between y and z temperatures". Right, cool story. I was on the lake yesterday and the temp went from 61 degrees in the morning to 70ish by the end of the day (I honestly had no idea temps on a lake varied that much over the course of a day). If a species of fish spawns between 65 and 75 degrees (for argument's sake), does it have to be that temperature at the beginning of the day? All day? Do they just hurry up and spawn whenever the temp gets to the right point and then run away to a staging area when it cools back off? Do different species do things differently in regards to temp swings? How long does it take a fish to spawn anyway?

I have searched and searched for the right information on this, but I can't find anywhere that gets overly specific on the topic. Any advice or even a pointer in the right general direction would be very much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The temp you see on on a fish finder is the surface temp. usually within a foot or less from the surface where the air temp and sun have a bigger influance as air temp goes up and down. That can vary quite a bit at any given spot during the day. So I tend to use that as a general indicator since the fish can move up and down the water column to find what is comfortable to them. Water temp does come into play with the spawning of any species. But there are othet factors such as moon phase and time of the year. If those two factors are favorable I generally look for the particular depth, structure and bottom type they seen to be keying in on at the time.
    varfoo likes this.

I've always assumed that it was something like "when the average water temperature over a period of time is in a suitable range, the fish spawn." But it's clearly not *just* about water temperature, because it's well known that not all fish of a given species (let's pick on bass as an example) will spawn at the exact same time. Some go "early", some go "middle" and some are "late". That's why it's important not to look at a body of water and only think "the bass are spawning" or "the bass aren't spawning." At any given time, some are spawning, some are pre-spawn, and some are post-spawn.
    varfoo likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I agree with mindcrime. When the avg daily water temps reach a certain temp. I don't think it happens suddenly, like flipping a switch. More gradual process. Just my opinion.

I think the amount of daylight triggers a lot of things, temp may play a role, but what about places that are hot year around and have great LMB fisheries. Think about the rut for deer that live in those areas. If only triggered by temp those things wouldn't happen in places like that. I don't know just comes to mind.
    mindcrime, th365thli, and varfoo like this.

Good points people have mentioned. I would consider day length (amount of daylight) equally as important as temperature. For bass, they don't all spawn at once, which is good for us because it means the entirety of spring up to early summer can be very good fishing. Lakes also warm up differently at different areas (north heats up faster for example). Finally, for bass, the big girls spawn sooner

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements