05-09-2020 - Crabtree Creek @ Black Creek Greenway, Rhodes Creek in Eno

Thread: 05-09-2020 - Crabtree Creek @ Black Creek Greenway, Rhodes Creek in Eno

Default 05-09-2020 - Crabtree Creek @ Black Creek Greenway, Rhodes Creek in Eno

05-09-2020
    Crabtree Creek near the Lake Crabtree spillway
    Rhodes Creek at a road crossing in Eno

---
    I had to drive to Cary today, to pick up my new rifle (ordered online) from Bass Pro Shops. Of course while I was there I succumbed to temptation and spent way too much money on fishing tackle, and a new tacklebox. But I needed it. All of it. No, really, I did. I am not an addict. I do not have a problem with buying fishing tackle I don't need. I can quit any time. Really. I mean it. Quit looking at me like that, daggum it!

Anyway,since I was already in the Cary area, after leaving Bass Pro with my new rifle and a bunch of new tackle, I made my way around to the back entrance into the Lake Crabtree County Park / Umstead State Park area, where the trailhead parking lot is. Made my way down to the spillway and fished just below that in Crabtree Creek for a bit. Started off with a hook/bobber and the pink Berkley crappie pellet stuff, and caught two bluegills, and one fish of which I'm not sure about the species identification. If anybody can confirm for sure what this is, I'd appreciate it. Looks a bit like a Pumpkinseed, or maybe a Redear Sunfish? Or maybe something else? I dunno.

After that I tried that little Rebel Hellgrammite mini crankbait for a while, but no takers. Then tried a shrimp lure that is technically considered a saltwater lure, but I figure the fish don't know what anything is "technically" considered. But no takers. Then another blue/white/chartreuse themed crankbait, also with no takers.

By then, even though I'd only been fishing an hour or less, I was feeling tired and hungry... I had not eaten yet for the day, so instead of exploring further downstream I decided to pack it in.

On the way home, the urge hit to go fish my namesake creek - Rhodes Creek. I'd never fished there before, and I have no reason to believe that the creek or any Rhodes family members from this area are related to my branch of the family, or at least not closely enough for me to know anything about it. As far as I can tell, my branch of the Rhodes family have been predominately in Brunswick, Columbus and Horry (SC) counties since the late 1700's.

Anyway, I found a bridge I could fish from, and gave it a whirl. The water was really shallow right under the bridge, no doubt due in part to the presence of a beaver dam about 15 yards upstream. There was no convenient way to make my way back there, so I just fished off the bridge. I stuck to the hook/bobber and the Berkley Powerbait stuff, and caught this amazing little specimen:

And so ends another chapter in this saga. Not exactly material that bards will be singing about, nor anything worthy of entrance into Valhalla. But not a bad way to spend a Saturday evening.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20200509_182102277.jpg‎
Views:	234
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	197595 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20200509_203039761.jpg‎
Views:	210
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	197597
    Bleedingblue likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mindcrime View Post
    05-09-2020
    Crabtree Creek near the Lake Crabtree spillway
    Rhodes Creek at a road crossing in Eno

---
    I had to drive to Cary today, to pick up my new rifle (ordered online) from Bass Pro Shops. Of course while I was there I succumbed to temptation and spent way too much money on fishing tackle, and a new tacklebox. But I needed it. All of it. No, really, I did. I am not an addict. I do not have a problem with buying fishing tackle I don't need. I can quit any time. Really. I mean it. Quit looking at me like that, daggum it!

Anyway,since I was already in the Cary area, after leaving Bass Pro with my new rifle and a bunch of new tackle, I made my way around to the back entrance into the Lake Crabtree County Park / Umstead State Park area, where the trailhead parking lot is. Made my way down to the spillway and fished just below that in Crabtree Creek for a bit. Started off with a hook/bobber and the pink Berkley crappie pellet stuff, and caught two bluegills, and one fish of which I'm not sure about the species identification. If anybody can confirm for sure what this is, I'd appreciate it. Looks a bit like a Pumpkinseed, or maybe a Redear Sunfish? Or maybe something else? I dunno.

After that I tried that little Rebel Hellgrammite mini crankbait for a while, but no takers. Then tried a shrimp lure that is technically considered a saltwater lure, but I figure the fish don't know what anything is "technically" considered. But no takers. Then another blue/white/chartreuse themed crankbait, also with no takers.

By then, even though I'd only been fishing an hour or less, I was feeling tired and hungry... I had not eaten yet for the day, so instead of exploring further downstream I decided to pack it in.

On the way home, the urge hit to go fish my namesake creek - Rhodes Creek. I'd never fished there before, and I have no reason to believe that the creek or any Rhodes family members from this area are related to my branch of the family, or at least not closely enough for me to know anything about it. As far as I can tell, my branch of the Rhodes family have been predominately in Brunswick, Columbus and Horry (SC) counties since the late 1700's.

Anyway, I found a bridge I could fish from, and gave it a whirl. The water was really shallow right under the bridge, no doubt due in part to the presence of a beaver dam about 15 yards upstream. There was no convenient way to make my way back there, so I just fished off the bridge. I stuck to the hook/bobber and the Berkley Powerbait stuff, and caught this amazing little specimen:

And so ends another chapter in this saga. Not exactly material that bards will be singing about, nor anything worthy of entrance into Valhalla. But not a bad way to spend a Saturday evening.

"had to drive to Cary today, to pick up my new rifle". Love it! did you really "Have to"? Of course you did! That's what my wife would ask me... Congrats on your new rifle!
    As far as the first pic, I'm thinking female shellcracker (redear); their red is not as defined as the males.
    Me thinks the 2nd is a juvenile warmouth.
    Love the posts and keep catching!
    mindcrime likes this.

P-nut

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    "had to drive to Cary today, to pick up my new rifle". Love it! did you really "Have to"? Of course you did! That's what my wife would ask me... Congrats on your new rifle!
    Heh... well, I've been without a rifle of any kind for many years. Sometime around Summer of last year, I started getting into the whole "prepper" scene a little (coincidental timing, huh?) and decided it was time to take up hunting. Despite having grown up in the middle of Redneckville, NC, I never hunted as a kid. I was always more into fishing. So I went and took my Hunter Safety course so I could get my hunting license. The plan was to buy a hunting rifle "sometime" in 2020 and then get my cousin's husband - who is an avid hunter - to teach me the ropes this fall. But all this recent pandemic related stuff about possible food shortages and stuff prompted me to go ahead and get a rifle now. I went with a .22-250, something oriented more towards small game than, say, deer. In the unlikely event that food should become scarce enough to demand it, my hope is that between fishing, hunting, foraging, trapping, etc., I could manage to stay alive.

Over time I plan to expand my collection and probably buy a .30-06, a .308, and maybe a 7mm Remington Magnum as well. If you're wondering, yeah, I'm something of a firearms enthusiast, even though I was never into hunting earlier in life.

Anyway, if we're all still alive this Fall, I'm still hoping to get out and do some deer hunting with my cousin's husband back home.

One nice thing about not being married... I don't have to justify gun purchases to a wife.

As far as the first pic, I'm thinking female shellcracker (redear); their red is not as defined as the males.
    That seems to be the consensus. I also posted on the "Fish Identification" facebook group and everybody who replied said Redear as well.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Are you talking squirrels and rabbits with the 22-250?
    I follow my own Blog
    Man can build a lake, but only God can make a river

Quote Originally Posted by Nat's Dad View Post
    Are you talking squirrels and rabbits with the 22-250?
    It might be overkill for squirrel, and maybe for rabbit, although I hear people do take rabbits using .22-250 if they get a head-shot. I should probably buy myself a .22LR rifle just for going after that stuff. OTOH, I always thought any kind of .22 was too light for deer, but the game warden who taught my hunter safety class was telling us about up in the mountains all the poachers shoot .22's. I think he said they (poachers) usually use .22 Magnum.

I dunno... hunting isn't my world. I have a ton to learn. Fishing... I'm far from an expert, but I can catch a few now and again. Hunting though, just didn't interest me much as a kid and so I never did it. So I'm kinda starting from scratch here, other than the fact that I already know my way around guns a bit.

So let me save you money............a 22-250 is for killin' stuff you don't plan to eat like ground hogs and coyotes a faaaar piece off unless you like rabbit protein shakes. A small bore shotgun or a .22 LR is for small critters you plan to eat. A 22-250 can be used on deer but only if you use the correct bullet and don't aim for the shoulder bone..........or it will not end well. Get a 20 gauge, a 22 LR and a 7mm/08 and you cant hunt and eat anything in the lower 48 Forget all those big bores you mentioned.
    mindcrime likes this.

I follow my own Blog
    Man can build a lake, but only God can make a river

Quote Originally Posted by Nat's Dad View Post
    So let me save you money............a 22-250 is for killin' stuff you don't plan to eat like ground hogs and coyotes a faaaar piece off unless you like rabbit protein shakes. A small bore shotgun or a .22 LR is for small critters you plan to eat. A 22-250 can be used on deer but only if you use the correct bullet and don't aim for the shoulder bone..........or it will not end well. Get a 20 gauge, a 22 LR and a 7mm/08 and you cant hunt and eat anything in the lower 48 Forget all those big bores you mentioned.
    Yep, another .22LR would be nice. My old gun was destroyed in a house fire many years ago. Shame, it was a gift from my maternal grandfather. Aaaah, well. Such is the way of life.

I personally have not eaten coyote, but there are people that do. And in a pinch, if it comes down to eating coyote or eating nothing, I'm pretty sure I'll chow down on one in a heartbeat.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements