Hybrid Kayak help! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hybrid Kayak help!

Thanks for the info! I've done lots of research on the Flint and I read that about the stability. Also read negative things about the horizontal rod holders, which I was really excited about. That's a bummer.

I also have been looking at the Bonafide RS117. Looks like a great, stable kayak for $999. Anybody have one?

Quote Originally Posted by EvBlue View Post
    The newer open-deck sit on tops have a lot of advantage over a canoe or open kayak. Much safer if you go solo or fish in Winter.
    Sit-in kayaks are a black widow hotel. I only have one left in the fleet and I hate having to hose it out on the inside, including under the seat every time we use it.

My last boat was a Flint. Great hull design but it's on the smaller side for standing and vee bottom makes it feel slightly tippy tho secondary stability is excellent. The 2020 Flint has a much better seat.

Old Town Topwater 120 is hugely stable and has a great layout. This is my current boat and I like it a lot. As stable as a NuCanoe Frontier but a lot easier to move around.

My next boat will be the Crescent Lite Tackle. Look hard at that one and it's only $899.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If you're on the smaller, more agile side the RS117 and Flint would work for standing. Neither have dry storage which is a big negative to me. The Flint is pretty efficient and fun to paddle. The RS117 looks like more of a platform than a paddler's boat but I could be wrong. For the same price the Topwater 120 is extremely stable, has a good-size front hatch and is still pretty easy to lift and drag. For $100 less the Crescent Lite Tackle is a superb paddling boat with a smart layout and huge storage.

Thanks for all the good advice, much appreciated.

I'm coming from a canoe, which had no dry storage, and I was fine with that. In fact, I prefer the open platform.

I do like the Topwater 120 but the giant hatch in the front would be useless for me. I would prefer it to be a wide open deck, like the Flint. The Crescent Lite has the same giant hatch. I wouldn't utilize that.

I'm 5'10, 220 pounds. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle, maybe more on the heavier side.

If you're on the smaller, more agile side the RS117 and Flint would work for standing. Neither have dry storage which is a big negative to me. The Flint is pretty efficient and fun to paddle. The RS117 looks like more of a platform than a paddler's boat but I could be wrong. For the same price the Topwater 120 is extremely stable, has a good-size front hatch and is still pretty easy to lift and drag. For $100 less the Crescent Lite Tackle is a superb paddling boat with a smart layout and huge storage.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You know the more I look at the Topwater 120 the more I like it. It is a little heavy, but so was my Disco 158, and that wasn't a big deal.

Well, I went off script, thanks to EvBlue and I just ordered an Old Town Topwater 120. Pickup curbside at Dicks. Woohoo!!!

Congrats. Post some pics before and after rigging and get her slimed up soon.
    ~JOE~
    JM76 likes this.

Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

The OT Topwater had just come out when I bought my MX and I compared them side by side. I can't remember what it was but there was some design change or feature that made me go with the MX The open floor plan is sweet. The last thing I want in my standing area is something stupid I'll never use. I agree about cold water although that's when you ditch the solo canoe and let the 158 roll. You should have never sold that boat! I would trust my yak over the 119 in the cold.

My next boat to be added to the stable is a jon with a jet outboard if we ever get the economy back because it will make a super turkey and duck chaser on the lakes and local flows....Plus the deer I kill don't fit well in a man powered boat.
    I follow my own Blog
    Man can build a lake, but only God can make a river

I really like mine JM76. The cockpit layout makes so much sense. I just figured out last week the tackle box holder on the right side is elevated to keep them out of the bilge water. Front rod holder is really convenient and you can use it for trolling since it doesn't get in the way of the paddle stroke.

Nat's Dad- if you ever come across a used Nova Craft canoe BUY IT!
    JM76 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat's Dad View Post
    The OT Topwater had just come out when I bought my MX and I compared them side by side. I can't remember what it was but there was some design change or feature that made me go with the MX The open floor plan is sweet. The last thing I want in my standing area is something stupid I'll never use. I agree about cold water although that's when you ditch the solo canoe and let the 158 roll. You should have never sold that boat! I would trust my yak over the 119 in the cold.

My next boat to be added to the stable is a jon with a jet outboard if we ever get the economy back because it will make a super turkey and duck chaser on the lakes and local flows....Plus the deer I kill don't fit well in a man powered boat.
    The MX looked awesome, I wanted to pick one up but couldn't find one cheap enough.
    Definitely didn't want to get rid of the Discovery 158 but I had to sell it to finance the new kayak!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

What I always wanted to do was buy a Native Ultimate seat and mount it in the 119 I tried but they wouldn't sell me one. That would be about perfect. I will say the MX seat is crazy comfy. Way better than those Hobies and Bonafides.
    I follow my own Blog

Quote Originally Posted by JM76 View Post
    The MX looked awesome, I wanted to pick one up but couldn't find one cheap enough.
    Definitely didn't want to get rid of the Discovery 158 but I had to sell it to finance the new kayak!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv2jQcEcNKo
    Should have kept it
    I follow my own Blog

Just an update, I am not missing my canoe one bit! EvBlue was right, the Topwater 120 is an amazing kayak. First time I took it out though, I wasn't thrilled with the seat. It leans back way too much (the rear is much lower than the front). Then after checking some Topwater Facebook forums, I discovered an easy mod using 2x4's that raises the seat up in the rear by 3 inches and makes a HUGE difference. Took it out again yesterday and this morning and I am absolutely loving it. Highly recommend it. Really I couldn't be happier. And yes, i did manage to catch a few largies and got her slimed up a little... Here's a quick video from this morning.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1k4...ekh4EJ9e7iHiex

Good to hear. Now fish beware.
    See what I did there, that rhymes.
    ~JOE~
    JM76 likes this.

Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

For what its worth. Check Amazon. They have a seat very similar to the native seat that you can buy.
    https://www.amazon.com/Brooklyn-kaya...714280&sr=8-26

Glad you like it man. Just seems fair somehow that you should share that spot with me.
    If you have any issues with the seat they will replace it for free but what I would do is ask them
    to upgrade you to their better seat for an additional cost.
    JM76 likes this.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12