NC Angler Forums banner

Hybrid Kayak help!

10K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  EvBlue 
#1 ·
Was hoping to get some advice from y'all. I am looking for a canoe/kayak hybrid. My budget is $1000.

I have been looking at the Old Town Discovery 119 Solo Sportsman and the Native Watercraft Ultimate 12. I also like the NuCanoe Flint, but that's more of a kayak and less of a hybrid. I probably would have already purchased the Native Ultimate FX 12 if I could find one for $1000. I'm so close, seeing them for $1200. My wife will literally divorce me if I spend any more than 1K...

Any recommendations, any boats I'm missing, anyone selling anything :D ? Not a ton of stuff on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace right now. Trying to be patient but I just sold my Disco 158 and this $$ is burning a hole in my pocket!!

I'll say that what's important to me is stability, roominess (for fishing and the occasional camping trip), ability to anchor, seat comfort and weight. Also recently I've seen the benefit of being able to stand and fish sometimes, which is why I like the Native. The FX 12 has the hi/low seat, which is a fantastic option.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
#5 ·
I was very interested in the FX12 also till I talked with a couple of people that had them and they confirmed my suspicion. The sides are too low to the water line and you can take on water super easy. I have a 158 Disco, a 119 and an OT 12 ft SOT I would not want the 119 Sportsman as the seat looks too low for comfort. I'd get the regular one. I see them used often of craiglist. My OT SOT is incredible but heavy. There's no perfect answer to this problem. There's a LL Bean solo canoe that's 13 feet made by Wenonah same as the Fusion but made with the new replacement material T-Formex I see it online sometimes 25% off. Might be worth a look.

#7 ·
Much appreciate the advice! I'm not too concerned, I don't paddle in rough water. If it's rough, I'll leave the canoe at home. Or I'll jump on the mountain bike. ;)

I have also been thinking about the standard OT 119, but haven't seen any local. Though I'm leaning towards something with a comfortable kayak seat, hence the hybrid I guess.

I agree about the low seat on the Sportsman. Though I think it would be great for stability and paddling into the wind, I'd at least like the option to raise it for fishing. I wish it had a hi/low seat like the Native.

#8 ·
I bought my 119 at Dick's but I think they have another name for it. They changed from the bench cane seat to a molded seat and it's OK I'd prefer the original OT with the cane seat, but they cost more. I picked mine up at Christmas many years ago for under 500

#11 ·
Have you checked out Old Town Next? Bass Pro also has a H12 hybrid.

Also... Is there a reason you have to buy new instead of used? Things like my Nucanoe Frontier come into play, as does the Jackson Commander 14, and the Ultimate FX

Reactions: JM76
#13 ·
Yes sir, I've seen all of these.

I'm pretty close to sealing the deal for an Ultimate FX12 I finally found in my price range. Just waiting to hear back. I like the Frontier as well. Been keeping my eyes open for a used one.

There are so many options it's driving me insane!! :) I have been seriously thinking about the NuCanoe Flint but I'm leaning towards the Native Ultimate FX12. I think it's probably between those two at this point.

#14 ·
I've been going back and forth in my mind as to what I truly want. I love the wide open canoe concept over a SOT, but the kayak has so many advantages when it comes to fishing. Anchor trolley's, comfy, adjustable seats, ability to stand and fish, rod holders, less affected by the wind, etc. I feel like the Ultimate FX12 is a good combination of the two, but the Flint also has the wide open deck, and is probably more stable for standing. This is a tough decision!!

#15 ·
The newer open-deck sit on tops have a lot of advantage over a canoe or open kayak. Much safer if you go solo or fish in Winter.
Sit-in kayaks are a black widow hotel. I only have one left in the fleet and I hate having to hose it out on the inside, including under the seat every time we use it.

My last boat was a Flint. Great hull design but it's on the smaller side for standing and vee bottom makes it feel slightly tippy tho secondary stability is excellent. The 2020 Flint has a much better seat.

Old Town Topwater 120 is hugely stable and has a great layout. This is my current boat and I like it a lot. As stable as a NuCanoe Frontier but a lot easier to move around.

My next boat will be the Crescent Lite Tackle. Look hard at that one and it's only $899.

#16 ·
Thanks for the info! I've done lots of research on the Flint and I read that about the stability. Also read negative things about the horizontal rod holders, which I was really excited about. That's a bummer.

I also have been looking at the Bonafide RS117. Looks like a great, stable kayak for $999. Anybody have one?

#17 ·
If you're on the smaller, more agile side the RS117 and Flint would work for standing. Neither have dry storage which is a big negative to me. The Flint is pretty efficient and fun to paddle. The RS117 looks like more of a platform than a paddler's boat but I could be wrong. For the same price the Topwater 120 is extremely stable, has a good-size front hatch and is still pretty easy to lift and drag. For $100 less the Crescent Lite Tackle is a superb paddling boat with a smart layout and huge storage.

#18 ·
Thanks for all the good advice, much appreciated.

I'm coming from a canoe, which had no dry storage, and I was fine with that. In fact, I prefer the open platform.

I do like the Topwater 120 but the giant hatch in the front would be useless for me. I would prefer it to be a wide open deck, like the Flint. The Crescent Lite has the same giant hatch. I wouldn't utilize that.

I'm 5'10, 220 pounds. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle, maybe more on the heavier side.

#22 ·
The OT Topwater had just come out when I bought my MX and I compared them side by side. I can't remember what it was but there was some design change or feature that made me go with the MX The open floor plan is sweet. The last thing I want in my standing area is something stupid I'll never use. I agree about cold water although that's when you ditch the solo canoe and let the 158 roll. You should have never sold that boat! I would trust my yak over the 119 in the cold.

My next boat to be added to the stable is a jon with a jet outboard if we ever get the economy back because it will make a super turkey and duck chaser on the lakes and local flows....Plus the deer I kill don't fit well in a man powered boat. :D

#23 ·
I really like mine JM76. The cockpit layout makes so much sense. I just figured out last week the tackle box holder on the right side is elevated to keep them out of the bilge water. Front rod holder is really convenient and you can use it for trolling since it doesn't get in the way of the paddle stroke.

Nat's Dad- if you ever come across a used Nova Craft canoe BUY IT!

#25 ·
What I always wanted to do was buy a Native Ultimate seat and mount it in the 119 I tried but they wouldn't sell me one. That would be about perfect. I will say the MX seat is crazy comfy. Way better than those Hobies and Bonafides.

#27 ·
Just an update, I am not missing my canoe one bit! :D EvBlue was right, the Topwater 120 is an amazing kayak. First time I took it out though, I wasn't thrilled with the seat. It leans back way too much (the rear is much lower than the front). Then after checking some Topwater Facebook forums, I discovered an easy mod using 2x4's that raises the seat up in the rear by 3 inches and makes a HUGE difference. Took it out again yesterday and this morning and I am absolutely loving it. Highly recommend it. Really I couldn't be happier. And yes, i did manage to catch a few largies and got her slimed up a little...;) Here's a quick video from this morning.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1k49atKM_Zqkc1eQlMgekh4EJ9e7iHiex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.