NC Angler Forums banner

Fly Tying

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Scott Hobbs 
#1 ·
How many of you guys tie your own flies? What sort of patterns do you tie?

#2 ·
I tie flies and get a great deal of pleasure from making a "lure" that I then use to catch fish. There are an almost unlimited number of fly patterns for saltwater . Most work . BUT --- the Clouser Minnow one pattern that easy to tie and will perform as well or better than any pattern conceived to date ! Lean to tie it and you are set for 99+% of your saltwater needs. I have used it successfully
from Bonefish to Stripers and Blues.

#4 ·
I haven't bought a fly in a ****'s age. I was blessed to teach a 6-night beginners tying class for Great Outdoor Provision Company in Charlotte back in September, and we had another set of Saturday classes in the works before the pandemic hit. I'll tie just about anything, from trout, bass, musky, pike, to saltwater flies.
You'll never save money tying your own flies (unless all you do is musky fish!), but the freedom of matching your local forage can't be beat...🙂

#6 ·
Oh yes. I love to tie flies but don't do it as often as I would like. I guess I tie most of mine in the winter months. I tie a few for fresh water- Bream Killers, a few poppers, and such. Most are saltwater flies. In addition to Clousers, I like tie what I call a Toad. Red fish love them, especially in black and purple. It looks sort of like a Zonker with a rabbit Zonker tail, a collarof cross cut Zonker, 4 strands of rug yarn tied like Merkin crab, and barbell eyes. Purple/black/purple. It drives the reds crazy in the high marsh. Add a weed guard since you're casting in marsh and put a loop of mono from the hook bend out and around That keeps the tail Zonker from being able to wrap around the hook. It works like a charm. I'm not real sure what the Reds think it is. But it does grab their attention.
And you are right. You're not going to save any money. But it is special to catch a fish ona fly you tied with a rod you built. Whitefish 115

#11 ·
A few from the past few months. Musky to trout, fresh and salt. Started selling flies on a limited basis this past year, custom lake-specific flies mostly, and a lot of stone flies.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.