05-10-2020 - A couple of ponds in Chapel Hill

Thread: 05-10-2020 - A couple of ponds in Chapel Hill

Default 05-10-2020 - A couple of ponds in Chapel Hill

05-10-2020
    A couple of ponds in Chapel Hill

---
    While fishing a local pond a few days ago, I met a couple of fellow anglers who were nice enough to clue me in on two other nearby ponds I did not know about. Today I started out a, let's call it "Pond A". It was small, maybe an acre or acre and a half. Reputed to have some bass, but all I caught were a couple of bluegill. Honestly though, it's in a very visible and open location, appears to be pretty popular, and apparently gets a LOT of fishing pressure. In addition it was kinda windy out. I'm sure I'll hit it again one day, but it didn't jump out at me as "bass heaven" or anything. Honestly, the best part of coming here was meeting people who were walking their dogs and meeting a couple of cool dogs. This one lady had an amazing Great Dane. Those dogs are so big and goofy and friendly. Definitely one of my favorite breeds.

After that I went to the other, let's call it "Pond B". Also reputed to hold some bass. This pond was a little bigger, maybe 2 acres or so. In the case of Pond B, I didn't catch anything, but I definitely *saw* bass. It appears most of the bass in there are in their post-spawn mode, guarding baby bass fry. I saw really big schools of fry, and a few momma and daddy bass patrolling the area nearby. I got one or two to at least sniff at my lure, but couldn't induce a strike. Will probably want to come back here once we're seeing some stable weather, and once the post-spawn funk has worn off the fish.

Note: I know, I'm usually much more explicit about locations. I'm not being so today for Pond A, even though it's clearly well known and heavily fished, only because I don't technically have permission to fish there. So I don't want to implicate myself in anything, or draw more attention to it which could result in more aggressive policing of access. Pond B is public and legal to fish, but it appears to *not* be heavily pressured, and given how small it is, I don't want to be responsible for drawing hoards of people out there.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The best suburban ponds can only be fished at night on the dark moon.
    mindcrime likes this.

I follow my own Blog
    Man can build a lake, but only God can make a river

Quote Originally Posted by Nat's Dad View Post
    The best suburban ponds can only be fished at night on the dark moon.
    I enjoy a bit of night fishing every now and then... I just hate that most of the places I fish are places where you can't (legally) build a fire. I'd be quite happy sitting by a fire by the side of a creek/pond/whatever, fishing and thinking about $WHATEVER.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mindcrime View Post
    05-10-2020

Note: I know, I'm usually much more explicit about locations. I'm not being so today for Pond A, even though it's clearly well known and heavily fished, only because I don't technically have permission to fish there. So I don't want to implicate myself in anything, or draw more attention to it which could result in more aggressive policing of access. Pond B is public and legal to fish, but it appears to *not* be heavily pressured, and given how small it is, I don't want to be responsible for drawing hoards of people out there.
    You're wise. I know a place that's publicly accessible but people don't want advertised on an internet forum for the same reasons you mentioned about Pond B. I don't blame them.
    - Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

7. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements