SSG and Son looking for first fishing trip

Thread: SSG and Son looking for first fishing trip

Default SSG and Son looking for first fishing trip

I came home from a 18 month tour of duty. My 10 year old wants to go fishing. He wants to catch Bluegills/Bream.
    Can anyone recommend spot they know will have some big slabs. I want to remember this. If you can please let me know..

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

First, welcome home!
    Second, where are you located/looking to fish? Guys on here have plenty of advice and recommendations.
    Just keep swimming...ahem... fishing... just keep fishing...
    Proud Red X Angler Member

Thank you for your service—enjoy your time with family! Tell us more about where you are and maybe someone can help you.
    Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I am located in North Raleigh NC, But will drive anywhere any time .....

Hmm... there are Raleigh parks on Lake Wheeler and Lake Johnson, but I think they're both closed due to COVID-19. I don't know Wake County quite as well, since I live over in Orange. But I think some decent spots for you to try, that should be open, include:

Lake Crabtree, either from Lake Crabtree County Park, OR from the Black Creek Greenway trailhead off of Old Reedy Creek Road
    Any of the lakes (Big Lake, Sycamore Lake, Reedy Creek Lake) in Umstead State Park
    Falls Lake (not sure if you have a boat or not, and if not, I'm not sure what the bank fishing situation is like there)
    The pond in Cary's Bond Park
    I think there may be some places to access the Neuse River near you as well. Google around.
    I don't know how legal it is, but I've heard of people fishing that one pond sorta-kinda near the airport, off of Page Road. NOT the one closest to the airport, mind you. I don't know if this is just rumor, or actually true, but I've always heard that its way illegal to mess around that pond that practically borders the airport. But the other one, slightly further away, from Page Road, might be an option.
    If you look around on GMaps, you can probably find a few places where you can get to Stirrup Iron Creek to fish.

If you don't mind driving a bit further, there are places to access the Eno River up around Durham and Hillsborough.

And then there are the waterfowl impoundments all around Jordan Lake. The ones at Stagecoach Road and Lower Little Creek are probably closest to you. FWIW, I fish at Stagecoach a lot. It gets a lot of fishing pressure and if you go there, I'd probably suggest not spending a lot of time right by the dam, unless you try it and find the bite is hot immediately. Otherwise, I'd start looking to follow the creek upstream or downstream from the dam, trying spots as you go. Just be careful, as this is game land and people do hunt out there. I don't know if anything is in season right this minute, but if there is, you might want to wear some blaze orange if you go out there.

I can't promise that you'll necessarily catch *big* fish at any of those spots, but any of them should give you a reasonable chance to catch something. Especially if you try with hook/bobber and live bait, or something like the Berkley Powerbait "crappie nibbles" or whatever it's called. If you want to go with lures, I've had most of my recent luck catching bluegill /sunfish and the like using small Beetle Spin or Rooster Tail style spinners, FYI.

Good luck!
    Tom Packer likes this.

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements