Tips for ICW near Ocean Isle and Holden - Shallotte River

Thread: Tips for ICW near Ocean Isle and Holden - Shallotte River

Default Tips for ICW near Ocean Isle and Holden - Shallotte River

Hey everyone. Looking to go down there for a week and a half at the end of May and wanting to take my kids fishing a few mornings. We will have my boat *robalo 206) docked at the house we are staying at so anywhere within a few miles is fine. Would love to find some good reds, trout, flounder, sheepshead.... Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone knows a good guide in that area; I might utilize them as well. We are staying right at the Shallotte inlet. Would love help with good locations and also baits. I was thinking up the shallote might be good. Usually I use a pop-n-cord with a jig and gulp shrimp, but looking to expand to topwater and other baits (jerkbait, crab, mullet minnow??) Thanks again!!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by clemsondds View Post
    Hey everyone. Looking to go down there for a week and a half at the end of May and wanting to take my kids fishing a few mornings. We will have my boat *robalo 206) docked at the house we are staying at so anywhere within a few miles is fine. Would love to find some good reds, trout, flounder, sheepshead.... Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone knows a good guide in that area; I might utilize them as well. We are staying right at the Shallotte inlet. Would love help with good locations and also baits. I was thinking up the shallote might be good. Usually I use a pop-n-cord with a jig and gulp shrimp, but looking to expand to topwater and other baits (jerkbait, crab, mullet minnow??) Thanks again!!
    I used to live there, but I probably can't tell you anything useful regarding spots, baits, etc. as I mostly cared about freshwater fishing. And I've been gone for 20 years anyways. Probably the only thing I might contribute is that if you like fishing brackish water and getting in some some of that mixed freshwater/saltwater species action, you might find some fish going up the Lockwood Folly River from the inlet at the ICW. The same is probably true for the Shallotte River if you up upstream far enough, but I always preferred the Lockwood Folly, for whatever reason, when it came to brackish water.

As far as guides go, I did talk to my buddy Keith from North Myrtle Beach Fishing Charters. He recommended Jeff Williamson:

https://www.facebook.com/jeff.williamson.5494

Keith and I grew up together in the Shallotte area and go back 30 some odd years, and I trust his recommendation, even though I don't know Jeff personally.

If you get in touch with Jeff, just tell him that Keith Logan from North Myrtle Beach Fishing Charters sent you his way.

Quote Originally Posted by mindcrime View Post
    I used to live there, but I probably can't tell you anything useful regarding spots, baits, etc. as I mostly cared about freshwater fishing. And I've been gone for 20 years anyways. Probably the only thing I might contribute is that if you like fishing brackish water and getting in some some of that mixed freshwater/saltwater species action, you might find some fish going up the Lockwood Folly River from the inlet at the ICW. The same is probably true for the Shallotte River if you up upstream far enough, but I always preferred the Lockwood Folly, for whatever reason, when it came to brackish water.

As far as guides go, I did talk to my buddy Keith from North Myrtle Beach Fishing Charters. He recommended Jeff Williamson:

https://www.facebook.com/jeff.williamson.5494

Keith and I grew up together in the Shallotte area and go back 30 some odd years, and I trust his recommendation, even though I don't know Jeff personally.

If you get in touch with Jeff, just tell him that Keith Logan from North Myrtle Beach Fishing Charters sent you his way.
    Will do! Thank you for the advice! What did you fish in the brackish water? I mostly fish freshwater as well (LMB) but every year we come down for a week or two and do some saltwater ICW fishing. Still not very good at it though. Last year I caught quite a few trout but still looking for my first red!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks again for the advice! Any other tips for Shallotte inlet/river area? Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by clemsondds View Post
    Will do! Thank you for the advice! What did you fish in the brackish water? I mostly fish freshwater as well (LMB) but every year we come down for a week or two and do some saltwater ICW fishing. Still not very good at it though. Last year I caught quite a few trout but still looking for my first red!
    Anytime I was using live bait, I almost always used shrimp as bait. No particular reason why, that's just what I learned from other people. That is, for salt-water and brackish water. For lures I'd use a mixture of salt-water oriented lures, as well as my usual freshwater stuff. Interestingly enough, the fish don't really care, and it's entirely possible to catch a salt-water species on a "freshwater lure" and vice versa. Species wise, we'd catch croaker, spot, mullet, and maybe the occasional drum or something. I don't think I ever caught a bass in the Lockwood Folly River, but that was a long time ago, so maybe I did and just forgot. Then again, I really didn't go out there that often anyway. My big emphasis back then was always fishing farm ponds.

Wish I could tell you more. Best of luck when/if you go down that way. And if you want to get some freshwater action in, you might try the Sutton Steam Plant lake. https://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0...utton-Lake.pdf

Thank you! I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I went out this morning for an hour and a half and caught a nice trout and huge flounder (released both). But I'm targeting redfish...I just don't know if there are none in the area I'm fishing or if I'm using the wrong bate. I was fishing pretty close to the mouth of the shallotte river, up one of the feeder arms in pretty shallow water. I was fishing at dawn with a falling tide (low tide at 9:30am and I was fishing at 6-7:30). I tried fishing topwater but with the strong current, it was tough to get the lure to stay in position to work the bait. Tried jig with gulp shrimp, jig with bass assasin chicken/chain, jig with swimming mullet, wopperplopper, and rapala skitterwalk. I also tried fishing a couple docks in the area but no luck. Should I be using my sidescan/downscan to help find them? I can take my boat pretty skinny so any location recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm fine with running anywhere sunset beach up to lockwoods folly. Thanks you for your help! Any thoughts?

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements