NC Angler Forums banner

Lake Norman - does anyone know what kind of fish this is?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  BoatP2Lee 
#1 ·
Last weekend while bass fishing, I saw a what looked like a big catfish sitting behind a rock in about 2-3 feet of water very close to the bank.

And yesterday evening around 8pm I started seeing something come up to the surface, never actually come out of the water and go back down. Now mind you, I never was able to see what kind of fish, if a fish at all, it was. I threw crankbaits and squarebills past where they came to the surface and retrieved it through that sort but got zero hits.

I did some googling and lots of people talking about carp, but they never actually came out of the water, just up to the surface and back down. They also didn't stay up there and stick their mouths out of the water.

Does anyone know what kind of fish behaves this way?

I'm going back there tonight and going to try throwing some flies to see if maybe it'll take that. I might also try and make some doughballs to see what else is down there. I've caught several spotted bass and brim so far. Another guy caught a couple cats the other day.

But I wanna know what kinda fish that is that comes to the surface and right back down.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.