NC Angler Forums banner

Anybody ran into bowfin this spring?

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Shawn62082 
#1 ·
I’ve had a pretty decent spring catching wise, but I haven’t ran into any bowfin. I was really hoping to catch some this year as I have never seen their mating colors in person. I’ll be going to one of my favorite spots for them in the morning so we’ll see.

#3 ·
That’s awesome. Where are you located? I went to a creek near Benson today looking for them. Didn’t run into any bowfin though just some longnose gar and largemouth. I really don’t catch much bowfin until summer with it peaking in September. I usually think it’s because of high water in the spring which gives them a lot more places to be where I can’t get to them, but I could be wrong. They are a newer target for me and I enjoy learning about them.

#7 ·
I have had caught 3 this spring, up to about 7 lbs. I think the best concentration of them can be found in some of the wildlife impoundments between Chapel Hill and Durham. I have caught a few on the Cape Fear River around Buckhorn dam, but there is a lot of competition there with all of the gar / catfish swimming around (all fun fish to catch, if you ask me).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.