05-16-2020 - New Hope Creek @ Duke Forest, Booker Creek @ Eastgate Crossing

Thread: 05-16-2020 - New Hope Creek @ Duke Forest, Booker Creek @ Eastgate Crossing

Default 05-16-2020 - New Hope Creek @ Duke Forest, Booker Creek @ Eastgate Crossing

05-16-2020
    New Hope Creek at Duke Forest, Korstian Division off of Whitfield Road
    Booker Creek behind Eastgate Crossing

---
    Today I decided to go back to Duke Forest and explore that area near the rhodo bluffs some more. The water levels in New Hope Creek are pretty low right now, so I figured those couple of pools might represent some of the only semi deep water for a ways and might be holding some fish.

I don't even remember what I started out throwing out there, but I went through a bunch of stuff with no results. Finally switched a wacky rigged chartreuse green Senko and at least got a strike from a bass. A tiny, tiny bass, which barely qualifies as more than a "fry". Not big enough to eat that bait and the associated hook. Beyond that, I could not entice any bigger fish to strike at anything. Worms, crankbaits, jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, nothing. ONE time though, I did notice a bass come zooming out of nowhere pretty quick to at least sniff at my spinnerbait. It was a little eye opening to be able to see that (the water was *very* clear) as it hammers home the point that bass will, at least on occasion, move quite a ways to look at your lure if they sense it. This particular fish didn't strike at the lure, but I still feel like a learned something from the experience.

Sadly, I feel like I'm still not figuring out exactly where the bigger fish are holding in this creek right now. The water in this area was relatively "deep" under the circumstances... probably at least 18 inches deep in places, maybe 2' or more in some. I would really have thought there would be a few decent bass in there, but if so, they were well hidden. And given how clear the water was, I mean *well* hidden.

My best guess is that they are hiding underneath the undercut bank edges (and this stretch of creek had plenty of that). IF I'd had the foresight to wear shorts and bring my wading boots, I could have waded in and made more casts where I could retrieve parallel to long stretches of the bank, and target those fish. But in my infinite wisdom, I wore jeans and decided to leave the wading boots in the truck. I think I thought the water might actually be too deep for wading in this section. Derp, derp. Lesson learned.

After all that goofing around, I put on a hook and bobber and broke out the Berkley Powerbait "crappie nibble" stuff and caught a couple of Bluegill and a Redbreast Sunfish. At least I didn't get skunked.

What I did manage to do, was break another ultralight rod. Yeah, yeah... tell me about it. And both times it was because of my own carelessness. I got my line snagged, and somehow while I was twisting and bending and tugging and contorting things trying to get the snag loose, I somehow started bending the tip of the rod down with my hand, and just snapped it right off. And then to add insult to injury, while I was lugging my gear back to the truck, I missed my footing stepping up onto a little wooden bridge on the trail, and fell and busted my arse.

Back to Walmart, only to find that they didn't have anymore of those $20.00 ultralight combos. So I bought a slightly nicer grade of ultralight rod, and moved the cheap little Shakespeare reel over to that rod. Back in business!

There was still daylight left after leaving Walmart, so I went back the hole behind the Starbucks shopping center to dabble around some more. Caught some more Bluegill using that Berkley stuff.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I like the little 3" stick baits for water like that...BassPro Stik-0 or Z-man Finesse TRD. Sometimes wacky-rigged but Texas-rigged gets snagged a lot less. Did you go down around the bend past the fast water yet?

Quote Originally Posted by EvBlue View Post
    I like the little 3" stick baits for water like that...BassPro Stik-0 or Z-man Finesse TRD. Sometimes wacky-rigged but Texas-rigged gets snagged a lot less. Did you go down around the bend past the fast water yet?
    I just picked up a couple of packs of TRD's a week or two ago, but haven't even fished them yet. Part of my problem is that I have all this "stuff" - rods, reels, lines, lures, hooks, etc., and it's all just piled in my truck, stuffed in random bags, and completely disorganized. I have more lures and stuff than will fit in my existing tackle boxes. Which is a good problem to have, in a way. I just bought one new soft-side tackle bag, that I think is going to become my dedicated "soft plastics" bag and every pack of soft plastics I have is going to go in that one bag, along with hooks and associated hardware. That will solve at least part of the problem.

Next, I still need to re-spool all my baitcast reels with new line, and put the new baitcast reel I bought on the rod I bought to go with it. That stuff has been lying in my truck for a month now and I haven't bothered to get it together. Too busy fishing, to prepare to fish! :-)

As far as New Hope Creek goes... I'm not sure if I've been exactly where you're talking about or not. I went straight down to where the Creek Connector trail stops at the Creek (after you pass the intersection of Rhodo Spur and High and Dry), which puts you right at kind of a pool. From there I went back upstream towards the bluffs to the next wide open area by a slack area, and then I went downstream past what I think may be the "fast water" you're talking about, and found another pool, right where that "High and Dry" trail comes down to the creek. I didn't fish that area on Saturday because there were two people out there fishing already and it didn't look like there was room for me to fit in there without getting in the way. I didn't go any further downstream than that.

Eventually I want to make my way down to where Pine Mountain Creek empties in to New Hope Creek and see if there's anything worthwhile there. Looks like a bit of a hike though. Unless there's a shorter route coming in from the Mt. Sinai Road side. So far I've always come into Duke Forest from either Whitfield Road down from the fire station, or from Erwin Road, starting at Hollow Rock and going under the bridge.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements