Inshore Making the most out of little

Thread: Making the most out of little

Default Making the most out of little

I'm not young, but I get excited like a kid at Christmas everytime I get out inshore fishing on my yak. So after busting my tail at work all week, Saturday was the perfect weather report for Cedar Island area. I got up before 5am with no alarm clock, ate a poptart and was out headed to a great inshore spot (that had a good report of activity). I had three rods already rigged, some frozen shrimp, a few live shrimp from cast netting that morning along with a few mud minnows. I only had to drive 30 minutes to get to my spot. I unloaded the yak and gear. I put on my life jacket and then I said some dirty words. I had forgotten my kayak seat AND I had left my tackle box. Oh yea, how stupid can you be. The sun was just beginning to rise at my launch. I would lose an hour if I reloaded my boat and headed back. Although I had never kayaked without a seat before, I had 3 rods, some bait and a few plastic lures. I launched.
    My second cast produced a 16" puppy drum. A few cast later I had about a 20" blue that made two jumps of nearly 36" in the air. No question it was the best acrobatics that I had ever had on my yak. After getting the blue to the side of the boat he made another spin move and cut my line leaving me with only two hooks. I put some shrimp on a slip cork and saw the cork go under. I had caught a few pinfish and another 16" pup and did not rush for the cork as I was retrieving my jig on the 2nd rod. After that jig was in, I picked up the rod with the slip cork and right away knew it was no pinfish. Several good runs landed a fat 19" speck (my best of the year). By 9am the tide was slowing and the bite shut off. My back and tail bone were not happy with my decision to fish. I hung on til 11am and then headed home. Here is the kicker. My wife loves speckled trout. I couldn't wait to show her this fine specimen. She looked at the whopper and replied "He's nice, but I caught one bigger this morning". When questioned, I learned she had slept in, but around 9am she had made her way out to a pier on the Core Sound. Using a grey Gulp shrimp she had cast into some minnow activity and then had the fight of her life, pulling drag time after time. She reported a speckled trout well over 20" (and she doesn't exaggerate as I have been reported to on rare occasion).
    However with no net, her prize had popped off while lifting it to the pier. But the impression left on her mind certainly deflated my trout's deserved praise. Anyway, no tackel box, no yak seat, but not a bad Saturday morning. Sometimes we deal with what we've got and with the right attitude, blessings can flow.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Ha the wife showed you up. Still sounds like you had a good morning.

The very first time I took my Hobie out I forgot the pedal drive unit. I thought I would paddle it but ended up going back home to get it. What’s the point of buying a Hobie if you don’t pedal it.
    ~JOE~
    Solo Dei Gloria

Great report.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thats funny enjoyed your story.

Blog Entries

Tell the wife her fish doesn’t count unless you touched the leader. On second thought, maybe that’s not such a good idea and rules like that should only be reserved for your fishing buddies

On another note and all in good fun, I feel like this is the second time I’ve read about you coming home from a day in the yak only to discover that your wife has outfished you. You might consider asking her for advice

Thanks for the report and detailed story.

You are correct. She slammed me on a previous occaision nailing 40+ trout while I was struggling.
    All in all I do just fine, but it does make for a better fish story when she kicks my butt.
    She is a good fisherlady, but she doesn't kayak.
    trigger22 likes this.

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements