05-17-2020 - "Mystery Pond" in Durham - buncha bluegill

Thread: 05-17-2020 - "Mystery Pond" in Durham - buncha bluegill

Default 05-17-2020 - "Mystery Pond" in Durham - buncha bluegill

05-17-2020
    The "Mystery Pond" in Durham

---
    I don't really remember much about this trip. Even though it was only two days ago. Why? I dunno. Maybe government HAARP mind-control rays? Or maybe Zeta-Reticulan Shape Shifters were manipulating my memories? I think it's more likely just because nothing memorable happened and a lot of it was just driving around.

Basically, started out going up to Hillsborough to buy something at Walmart (a portable little folding chair I can take fishing with me. My back can't take all that standing like it could 20+ years ago). Since I was up near Hillsborough, I decided to drive over and scout out a spot I had found on the map that looked promising, to possibly fish the Eno River and/or Cates Creek. The spot *did* look good, but I didn't feel like fishing it right that moment. But I will definitely be back out there at some point.

I drove around Mt. Sinai Road by Duke Forest, trying to figure out if there was a better Duke Forest entrance to use, if I wanted to go find the confluence of Pine Mountain Creek and New Hope Creek. I usually go into Duke Forest either off of Whitfield Road near New Hope Fire Department or I go to Hollow Rock Nature Preserve and go under the Erwin Road bridge. I see there is another gate and it looks promising, but somehow I didn't feel motivated to do all the walking needed to get down there. I think I was still sore and tired from all the hiking in Duke Forest on Saturday.

In the end, I decided that my prime requisite for a fishing spot for today was "Somewhere where I don't have to do a lot of walking." That only left about 3 spots, because most of the places I like to fish involve a decent walk to get to the water. Of those 3, the so-called "Mystery Pond" was nearest, so I went there. Nobody ever say I'm not pragmatic. Or just lazy. Or both.

Fished around here with a few different lures and didn't get any action. Decided to just try the ole "artificial live bait" stuff from Berkley again, and promptly caught 4 bluegill. Say what you want about that stuff, but it does work.

After getting tired of that I left and did ??? I don't remember. I might have fished more. All I know is that if I did more fishing, I didn't catch anything else, because my spreadsheet doesn't list anything else for the 17th. I might have just gone home. Maybe I went shopping. Or maybe I was abducted by Zeta-Reticulan Shape Shifters. I hate those daggum things. Worse than snapping turtles. Unless... unless... You don't think? Noo.... surely not... It couldn't be could it? I mean... no. Yeah. No. NO. Yeah. I dunno... ARE THE TURTLES ACTUALLY SHAPE SHIFTERS FROM ZETA RETICULI?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Man you are a fishin fool! You must either be retired or covid-furloughed b/c you are lighting the board up with fishing reports! And I don't mean that as a bad thing, it's a great thing!

Keep up the reports, take more pics for us desk jockeys
    mindcrime likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PontoonMike View Post
    Man you are a fishin fool! You must either be retired or covid-furloughed b/c you are lighting the board up with fishing reports! And I don't mean that as a bad thing, it's a great thing!

Keep up the reports, take more pics for us desk jockeys
    I actually work full-time. But I am not married, no kids, and few external responsibilities. So I work my 9-5 shift, during the week, go fishing after work most days, and then just have to be home for a conference call (most nights) from 10-11. Then get up the next day and lather, rinse, repeat.

I won't keep up this cadence indefinitely I'm sure. But after taking such a long break from fishing, once I started again I found that I'm even more passionate about it than ever. Also part of it is because I'm working from home full-time now due to COVID and so by 5:00 or so, I'm jonsesing to get out of my apartment and go somewhere else. And there's not a lot else to do right now. And since I usually fish alone at places that aren't very crowded, I'm keeping up my "social distancing" responsibilities. :-)

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements