Register a Jon Boat?

Thread: Register a Jon Boat?

Default Register a Jon Boat?

I am brand new to the forum and have never owned a boat before. My son and I like fishing but are always stuck on the bank. Thought it might be nice to have a little jon boat to get out on the water. I've been looking on Craigslist and have found a few, but before I buy anything wanted to know what is involved in getting something legally on the water in NC. Also, what if I buy a boat from Virginia or SC?

1- Do I need to get a title or bill of sale from the owner?
    2- Do I need to transfer title to my name?
    3- Register? Insure?
    4- Any different rules for different boats? I was really just looking at a 12-14ft jon boat with a little motor.
    5- If legal stuff is needed, does that go through DMV or Fish and Wildlife or some other agency?

I am mostly concerned with what I need to do with the transaction of a private sale in NC or a surrounding state. I don't want to go hand over cash and then find out I needed a title or something that the owner does not have. Then I can deal with the other stuff afterwards. I have a small 8ft trailer that I would just throw the boat on.

Thanks
    Nik

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If it has a motor it has to be registered
    meenyt likes this.

Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If what you buy has a trailer, get an itemized bill of sale with serial numbers on it. Trailers have sales tax, boats do not. Get the original or a copy of the trailer registration and make sure to get the title or certificate of origin for an untitled trailer. Technically only a business can transfer a certificate of origin, not an individual, but still is best to have to prove it has never been titled. Get the title to the boat, a few states do not require a title, if so get a copy of the bill of sale of when the person you are buying from bought the boat. Traceability is key and notarize everything.

I recently purchased a boat from GA, had an itemized bill of sale, boat title, certificate of origin of the trailer and copy of the trailer registration. Still had an issue because the bill of sale only had a description, but did not have the trailer serial number on it. Had to get the original of trailer registration to satisfy the DMV, luckily the owner still had it and sent it to me.

Every time I go into the DMV they make me feel like I am a criminal and trying to pull a fast one.
    meenyt, mindcrime, and srsykes like this.

2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO; 2015 Beavertail Vengeance, Suzuki DF90;
    Jackson Coosa FD; Native Ultimate 14.5; CCA Member

Every time I go into the DMV they make me feel like I am a criminal and trying to pull a fast one.[/QUOTE]

^^^^ I think that might be a requirement of the job.
    ~JOE~
    davidg25, and srsykes like this.

Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Also remember safety equipment. Life jackets, throw cushion, etc.
    Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

It looks like the others have done a good job pointing out the legal issues and snares. I write about practicality. As a general rule, a good jon boat you can move around in without getting too tippy (and turning over) has a bottom width (not a beam, but a bottom width) of 33"-36". If you are going to be using it, make sure it will be a safe boat for you and your son. Also, I am somewhat amazed you can find used jon boats in reasonable shape. Usually owners keep them for years. We have one in our family that was purchased in 1969 and my special jon boat/flats skiff was purchased in 1988. They just don't wear out. Anyway, if you have any concerns, A.K. McCallum in Fayetteville sells only jon boats and they could be a source of great wisdom and excellent prices. The boat is going to be OK, most likely, it's the old motor I would worry about. The best thing for a motor is to be run and someone who's selling a jon boat may not have run that motor in several years- a word of caution. Further, if you trailer is only 8' long and you're looking at a 12'-14' boat with motor, that's a lot of boat hanging out the back of the trailer. Assuming it is a utility trailer, it doesn't have a lot of support for the boat, particularly if you have a motor hanging on the stern. I'm good at spending your money. But you may want to rethink some of your assumptions about this whole boat purchase and make sure you're not buying a money pit. Boats are holes in the water in which you pour massive sums of money anyway but make sure you're not being penny wise and pound foolish on this. A trailer designed for your boat is going to give you a lot better service than a utility trailer with 4'-6' of the boat hanging off the end. You're going to have to carry (or drag- ugh) that boat from the trailer to the water and back. Sounds like fun. Not trying to rain on your parade but I've seen too many people buy the wrong boat for the conditions and dyou don't want to be stuck at the ramp iwth a motor that doesn't work or out in a boat you can't use comfortably and safely. Good luck and let us know what you decide. Whitefish 115
    meenyt likes this.

A trolling motor will keep you moving up and down the shoreline with out cranking a motor.
    Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements