Chumming in a kayak

Thread: Chumming in a kayak

Default Chumming in a kayak

I bought some menhaden oil/tuna chunks in a squirt type bottle. Was just planning on squirting a few drops out once in a while. Going to be trolling for Spanish but also kings and cobia God willing! Hows this for an idea. Get a soda bottle and fill it 2/3rds full of oats and squirt the oil in to be soaked into the oats and then poke some small holes in it, tie it to a cleat with 8 lb mono and run it off the back about 10 feet or so. That way if a shark wants it he will have no trouble popping or cutting through the line and not pulling my boat over. Any opinions or experiences would he appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Was wondering about the 8 lb mono until I read further. Seems like it may work. I'm just not a fan of attracting sharks while in a kayak though!

Yeah I dont really either. But I REALLY want to attract a king or cobia.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Find a used meat grinder for sale and make your own chum cubes too. Fill up small zip lock bags with ground up baitfish and freeze. Put some frozen bags in a larger onion or potato sack with the zipper tops open, toss overboard and tie off to your yak or boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought chumming worked best if you are anchored up as to attract them to your location- Seems to me if your trolling along- your chum is always getting farther away from you which seems useless

Ok. May be a waste of time then. Theres not much room for extra gear in a kayak anyhow

Bertboy90- not trying to be discouraging but it I were going to chum- I'd anchor above the spot I wanted to fish- set out the chum so it would drift back where my lines were at- Set some live baits out and then wait - SMACJKKKKKKK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements