Pond The Magic Bowfin Pond - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Magic Bowfin Pond

To add to the bowfin discussion - got a decent one on a senko in a creek off the Neuse this evening. A fun fight in tight quarters, he went nuts. Sight casted to another and watched him eat, but he came unglued.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E078E76B-B39F-4CF9-8E8C-51E254E00CB9_1591582234425.jpeg‎ 
Views:	22 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	197761  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Went back to the magic bowfin pond on Father’s Day morning (that was my gift, a morning of fishing without any grief, lol...) I managed 4 bowfin - 1 on cutbait and 3 on a spinner I was fishing on my ultralight set-up (6 lb line with a 20 lb fluorocarbon leader) It made for some good fights. Here’s a video of the biggest one I caught:

https://youtu.be/bzkVmCe0JQY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    fodder likes this.

If you throw spinnerbaits for bass, you are bound to catch a bowfin at some point. I've had numerous bowfin destroy my spinnerbaits over the years both in Florida and here in NC. They are fun to catch, but the moment you realize its not the 5lb+ bass you were hunting, it's a bit disappointing. Then the battle begins.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Pond Pounder View Post
    They are fun to catch. They pull like catfish and jump like bass. I have caught the majority of mine either while fishing cut bait on the bottom or casting spinners.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to figure out where to go near Raleigh, everytime someone recommends a spot I can't seem to find the bowfin. It could be the fisherman, but I'd like to think I'm halfway decent.

I"m in the same boat. have not caught one yet. when I catch wind of a tip or rumor, I usually go give it a try. Haven't had the stars align just yet.

Here is a well-known and very public spot: when I lived in Chapel Hill I caught a lot of them in the Waterfowl impoundments off Stagecoach and Farrington Roads between Chapel Hill and Durham - can fish the water near the dams, and explore on down into the creeks that flow from them looking for deeper holes. Have not fished there recently but this time of year I used to go out to Jordan and cast net shad around the boat ramps, then fish cut bait in either of these 2 areas with carolina rigs, circle hooks, and something like 30-lb mono leader. If you soak cut shad in these places you will probably catch some catfish and eventually you will run into a mean, toothy bowfin.

There are tons of other shallow, frequently muddy creeks where you can find them too. They will eat lures but cut bait, especially shad, is your high-percentage play.

Good luck.

I caught one of my biggest bowfin out of one of those impoundments in the fall. I think I prefer them to bass now!

Mack in N.C. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nc35hunter View Post
    Here is a well-known and very public spot: when I lived in Chapel Hill I caught a lot of them in the Waterfowl impoundments off Stagecoach and Farrington Roads between Chapel Hill and Durham - can fish the water near the dams, and explore on down into the creeks that flow from them looking for deeper holes. Have not fished there recently but this time of year I used to go out to Jordan and cast net shad around the boat ramps, then fish cut bait in either of these 2 areas with carolina rigs, circle hooks, and something like 30-lb mono leader. If you soak cut shad in these places you will probably catch some catfish and eventually you will run into a mean, toothy bowfin.

There are tons of other shallow, frequently muddy creeks where you can find them too. They will eat lures but cut bait, especially shad, is your high-percentage play.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the heads up, will have to give it a go!

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12