NC Angler Forums banner

Bertie county area

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  The Mad Duck 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,. I come down to Bertie county from time to time to see my wife's family. I am heading down on Friday (I live by Annapolis) and a buddy is meeting me there. He is coming up from Georgia. I really want to put him on some fish. We both are bringing our kayaks. I was seeing if I can get a few spots we should drop with in an hour of Aulander. I've only fished the pungo and Mattamasket and those are kinda far. Any help would be great. I'll post an update from any spot that we get too. Thanks everyone and be safe on the water.

#4 ·
I have been doing some research and we are looking at Phelps lake. There seems to be several places to drop at. Any recommendations would be great. I was also thinking pungo creek if the wind and water will not be that bad. Hopefully less snakes. Seems like the rivers can be rough after a few days of rain. Hope everyone gets out and wacks em.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
The only fish in Phelps are Pumpkinseeds,Bass and Catfish. This time of year is one of the better times for Bass, but they arent real easy to catch. Phelps is a very shallow, Gin clear lake.
I would recommend some of the blackwater creeks that are closer to Bertie than Phelps. In those creeks, you are liable to catch large Bream,Bass,Striper,Crappie,White Perch,Bowfin,Catfish and Lord knows what else. I fish this area a lot and can give you some places to check out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.