05-26-2020 - Cate's Creek near Hillsborough

Thread: 05-26-2020 - Cate's Creek near Hillsborough

Default 05-26-2020 - Cate's Creek near Hillsborough

05-26-2020
    Cate's Creek, at the bridge near the intersection of Hwy 86 and Hwy 70

---
    Today was another of those "drive around and look for new spots" days, and most of them turned out to be duds for one reason or another.

I checked another spot on Sandy Creek, after failing to find fishable water before, and failed again. There was water, but such a pitifully small amount, I really doubt any fish, at least any decent fish, were holding around this spot. I think that takes Sandy Creek off the list of places to explore.

After that I went and checked out Pine Mountain Creek where it crosses Mt. Sinai Road. Same issue. Too little water there to even bother with.

Went and checked another spot where Rhodes Creek crosses University Station Road. Not much water, no real access. Nothing doing here.

Went further up University Station to where Stony Creek crosses over. Now this looks promising. There's definitely access if you're willing to walk a few yards down the railroad right of way, and you could probably get access from the bridge area right by the road if you brought a string trimmer. OR, if the landowner on the one side of the road is willing to grant permission to stand on his property, then there's a nice open, mowed, convenient yard that runs along the creek for quite a ways. I may try to track down who owns that spot and see if I can get permission to use their property if I ask nicely.

After that, I checked another spot where Stony Creek crosses Old NC 10. Nothing doing. I mean, in theory you could fish right on the edge of the road, but there's not much you can access right there and whoever owns the land on either side of the road has some pretty aggro sounding "WARNING - NO TRESPASSING - WE SHOOT ON SIGHT - DIE, DIE, DIE" level signs up all over the place. Seems best not to even bother with this area.

After that I parked in the parking lot for the Old Occoneechee Speedway trail and walked up the trail that goes toward the Riverwalk. Unfortunately the section owned by the people that own the old speedway area is signed "no fishing." Bastards. Presumably you could just transit through on their trail with your gear, until it turns over to the MTS trail and then fish. At least the other other spot I found, going the other way from their trailhead, once it switches over to the MTS trail, the signs no longer say "no fishing." So maybe a way to access the Eno here, but I didn't feel like walking that far.

After that I just went back out the corner of 86 and 70, parked on the side of the road, and made my way down to Cate's Creek right at the bridge where 70 goes over the creek. Caught two little Green Sunfish, and this thing. Creek Chub, I think? Anybody know for sure?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Few's Ford on the Eno is open now, right? There are a bounty of riches to be discovered there and you are really close by.

Quote Originally Posted by EvBlue View Post
    Few's Ford on the Eno is open now, right? There are a bounty of riches to be discovered there and you are really close by.
    I'm not sure. I haven't explored the Eno area much yet (but I've been working my way up that way). I haven't been to Few's Ford yet, but I swung by the Pleasant Green access area a couple of days ago and that was still closed.

I did go out to River Park after the trip mentioned in this thread, and walked around a little bit. Looks like you can park there by the Sheriff's office / farmer's market area and walk down there and fish near the bridge where you come into Hillsborough.

I think a lot of other Orange County (including Chapel Hill, Hillsborough, and Carrboro) places are scheduled to re-open tomorrow. So hopefully in the next few days (if the rain ever stops) there will be opportunities to fish some interesting spots!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements