Lockwoods Folly Report

Thread: Lockwoods Folly Report

Default Lockwoods Folly Report

Fished last Friday and Sunday. Found 2 schools of alberts and 1 of spanish Friday. Busted 1 time each and disappeared. Sunday found plenty of spanish and some alberts. caught a few spanish and no alberts. My fishing partner still had his training wheels and couldn't get the fly in them. Saw one cobia swim past, stopped the boat but he didn't show up again.Water temp was 74.
    mindcrime likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Aaah, the good ole Lockwoods Folly. Or Lockwood Folly, depending on who you ask. To this day, nobody really agrees on which one is right. Or where the name comes from. That name brings back memories through. I grew up about 5 miles from the Lockwoods Folly River.

Tradition has it that a guy name Lockwood built a big boat way up the river but when he went to take it to the ocean it was too big to get there, hence Lockwood’s Folly. My mother’s family grew up in Winnabow, not far from LF and my grandfather did the first survey for Holden Beach. One of my uncles was a water rat who fished this area extensively. My story may not be true but it still makes for a good story. Whitefish 115
    mindcrime likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefish115 View Post
    Tradition has it that a guy name Lockwood built a big boat way up the river but when he went to take it to the ocean it was too big to get there, hence Lockwood’s Folly. My mother’s family grew up in Winnabow, not far from LF and my grandfather did the first survey for Holden Beach. One of my uncles was a water rat who fished this area extensively. My story may not be true but it still makes for a good story. Whitefish 115
    That's one of the two stories I've heard about the origin of the name. I have no idea which one, if either, is true. But that's probably the one I hope is true.

Years ago there was a place where you could launch a boat on the Lockwood's Folly right by the bridge on Hwy 211. I think it was always just an unofficial ramp, and I don't think it's there anymore. But my dad would often put his boat in the water there, to head out to the ICW or Buzzard Bay or whatever. On rare occasions I'd go with him and talk him into going upstream and letting me fish the LF proper. I honestly never did catch a whole lot on that river, but there was something "interesting" about it. Just the look, the name, the ambiance, I dunno... I wouldn't mind going back home one day and heading out there and fishing it again.

I used to canoe from that bridge to Varnamtown just to see and photograph the sights and wildlife. There was an artesian well on the upstream side of the bridge. Caught some bowfin in that stretch of river. The story about Lockwood and the boat is what I heard about the name.
    mindcrime likes this.

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements