05-30-2020 - Eno River north of Hillsborough, Bolin Creek in Chapel Hill, Booker Creek in Chapel Hill

Thread: 05-30-2020 - Eno River north of Hillsborough, Bolin Creek in Chapel Hill, Booker Creek in Chapel Hill

Default 05-30-2020 - Eno River north of Hillsborough, Bolin Creek & Booker Creek in Chapel Hill - First catfish of the year

05-30-2020
    Eno River, north of Hillsborough
    Bolin Creek at Chapel Hill's Community Center Park
    Booker Creek at the hole behind Eastgate Crossing

---
    Finally decided to go give the Eno a try. I'd found a spot on the map that looked promising, so I drove up there to check it out. I wasn't sure the access I was hoping for would be there, but fortune smiled upon me for once. There was plenty of room to park, a trail leading to the river, and none of the dreaded "no fishing, we shoot on sight, DIE DIE DIE" signs.

Made my way down to the water and started tossing a chatterbait around, just because it was already rigged up. I don't necessarily think those are a great choice in tight quarters with a strong current, so I got rid of that pretty quick.Tried a couple of different things, and then fortune quit smiling on me. The wind picked up, the sky got dark, and the temperature fell a few degrees in just a minute or two. Typical signs of an impending thunderstorm. I packed my stuff up and high-tailed it out of there and back to the truck. No fish caught on the Eno on my first trip, but at least I found a good access spot, and there's a LOT more river to explore. I shall return.

After that, with it raining a bit here and there intermittently, I switched to scouting / exploration mode. Drove to a pond in Chapel Hill I'd been meaning to explore, but found it dried up. Not sure if it was drained intentionally, or if it breached the (earthen) dam during a high rain period and eroded a hole in the dam and drained out, or what.

Left there, went and checked out a creek in Carrboro, but found it probably too small to be of interest. Same for another creek spot in Chapel Hill that I went and checked out.

After doing all that, the rain had stopped and the sky was clearing up, so I went back into fishing mode. Drove to Community Center Park in Chapel Hill and fished in Bolin Creek for a while. Caught one Green Sunfish and one Creek Chub.

After that, I went back to my favored spot on Booker Creek over by Starbucks and had a decent session. Caught a catfish, of all things, on my first cast. Not a big catfish by any means, but he put up a nice fight. Good way to start the evening. I also caught some bluegill, green sunfish, and another pumpkinseed.

And then it was dark and time to head home. The biggest disappointment of the day though, was when I got home and realized that somewhere in the course of today's events, I misplaced my favorite sunglasses. I remember having them when I was at the Eno and grabbing them when I was packing up to head back to the truck, but I don't remember what happened to them after that, and now they're missing. Oh well. Such is the way of things.
    sporkd2 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I think you will like the Eno once you start exploring it.
    ~JOE~
    mindcrime likes this.

Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by Joetrain View Post
    I think you will like the Eno once you start exploring it.
    ~JOE~
    I definitely hear good things about this river. I'm looking forward to spending some more time out here exploring and learning the different sections of it.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements