Fish ID - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fish ID

https://images.app.goo.gl/NceKxfRjaq4AQCnv5

Hopefully that link works. It’s of a Redeye Bass, not to be confused with a Rock Bass.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 83 View Post
    Why do you say that its not a red eye Bass? Every pic I looked up for a red eye Bass looks just like this one. Basically looks like a smallmouth with red eyes.
    because it isnt.....I have caught redeyes and I have caught smallies and largemougth with redeyes.

The Closest Populations of redeyes are in the Horspasture River 170 plus miles and The Saluda in SC 180 plus miles.......I will post a pic of what redeyes from those 2 rivers look like.....they look similiar to the redeyes from alabama and other places but are different, (There are several subspecies of redeyes) The "redeyes" from the Saluda and Horsepasture have been designated as there own species now and are called "Bartrams Bass"

Go post that Pic of the fish in this post on SOUTHERN RIVER FISHING on facebook and they will tell you that isnt a redeye or a rock bass. Seminole steve a Biologist from Auburn will tell what it is and isnt. Most of the guys on SRF live is Redeye territory and know a redeye .

This is what a Redeye(Bartrams Bass) looks like from the populations that are 170 plus miles away.
    you will note that the pic of a redeye you posted has blue hues on the edges of fins and mouth head area. The picture in this post that were are talking about has none of these blue hues.
    ***I could not find the pic so i will have to post a video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIQf8VGhPdw go to 2:39 to see what they look like.

This is a largemouth with redeyes that came from the Haw River . Red eyes do not mean it is a redeye bass. Lots of smallie and spots have red eyes as well.
    Festus Amungus likes this.

Mowhawk pack , coleman scanoe, OT 158, 2 OT 119's,
    1232 Jon Boat, Wilderness Systems ATAK 140, Ascend 12T

Man, even that bottom one doesn’t look like a largemouth. Has almost a bronzy color and not a well defined lateral line. Maybe a hybrid of some sort, but hard to say.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 83 View Post
    Man, even that bottom one doesn’t look like a largemouth. Has almost a bronzy color and not a well defined lateral line. Maybe a hybrid of some sort, but hard to say.
    Last one is definatly a Largemougth. Only species of bass in the Haw is the Largemouth.

also, I went on and posted the fish in the first post in the article in Southern River Fishing on FB . 15~ responses and mosy say smallie with a few saying spot/smallie hybrid.

The one that matters is from Steve Sammons who is probably the most well known and respected biologist in the SouthEast as he has researched spots, shoalies, redeyes, and smallies and their hybridization in the Southeast more than anyone.

I have fished with him before in Georgia and very spot we caught went into the frying pan or killed. The spots are ruining every smallie , shoalie, redeye water they invade.

Original fish looks like a Spallie or something!

They make it much further down in the Yadkin than folks realize. I've always wondered about them being in some of the tribs in the area but most of them are pretty silted in and access is hard to come by.

My first glance was smallmouth but given the location it seemed highlu unlikely but with all this crazy rain I just told myself that it washed that little guy all the way to downtown Winston 😂 I think it’s a spotted hybrid of some sort. The red eye bass looks similar but is even less likely based solely on location.

I'd bet money on a smallie X spotted bass hybrid.

I agree with you jerry. Just out of curiosity how far west/north do you think you need to go on the Yadkin to get into smallmouth?

Quote Originally Posted by jerry condrey View Post
    I'd bet money on a smallie X spotted bass hybrid.
    This^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpacker11 View Post
    I agree with you jerry. Just out of curiosity how far west/north do you think you need to go on the Yadkin to get into smallmouth?
    Smallies have been caught at idols dam which is below W/S.......shoals access to Donnaha is pretty good for the Yadkin River Bass slam.
    https://mackinncblog.blogspot.com/20...iver-slam.html
    jerry condrey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpacker11 View Post
    I know they are in the area around Boonville (Richmond Hill).

I've caught them below Idols. Agree on smallie x spot, that's what I meant by Spallie lol

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12