OBX surf fishing & kayaking/fishing

Thread: OBX surf fishing & kayaking/fishing

Default OBX surf fishing & kayaking/fishing

Hey guys!

My family is renting a house in Corolla in a few weeks. Looks like I'll get the chance to do some surf fishing, and sound fishing from my kayak. I haven't fished saltwater since I was a kid, and I've never fished in the Outer Banks, though I've been there quite a few times.

Bringing my Penn 4000 saltwater reel and an 8 ft surf rod I picked up. Plan on trying some surf fishing with a hi low rig and some shrimp and/or bloodworms. That a good call??

Also bringing the kayaks so we can do some exploring in the sound, might as well do some fishing from that as well! Was thinking of trying some spoons, a popping cork with a jighead and a gulp shrimp, maybe a mirrolure.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Like I said I've been there a bunch but never fished or kayaked.
    I'll probably take the wife and kid to Corolla Park and launch the kayaks from there. Also I heard that the Bob Perry Boat Ramp is a good spot to put in (though it's 30 minutes away), and explore the Kitty Hawk Coastal Reserve. Thoughts/suggestions??

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JM76 View Post
    Bringing my Penn 4000 saltwater reel and an 8 ft surf rod I picked up. Plan on trying some surf fishing with a hi low rig and some shrimp and/or bloodworms. That a good call??
    depending on the waves and current you might need to think about up sizing to a 10 foot rod(i use 10 foot Penn Squadron 1-5oz that cost $60 bucks)...however if it was like today, any size rod would work.

as for bloodworms and shrimp, you will catch fish, but if the bait fish are around, you're gonna have a bad time...also if you have access to a sand flea rake, id recommend learning how to use it...i usually use FishBites(shrimp, and sand flea flavors) mainly, cause they dont need refrigeration, they tend to stay on the hook better during casting and when they do go bad, i can still catch fish on them

Also bringing the kayaks so we can do some exploring in the sound, might as well do some fishing from that as well! Was thinking of trying some spoons, a popping cork with a jighead and a gulp shrimp, maybe a mirrolure.
    all sounds like what id use if i went kayak fishing but sub the Gulp for Zman, but keep in mind the further north of Oregon Inlet the fresher the water gets.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Like I said I've been there a bunch but never fished or kayaked.
    I'll probably take the wife and kid to Corolla Park and launch the kayaks from there. Also I heard that the Bob Perry Boat Ramp is a good spot to put in (though it's 30 minutes away), and explore the Kitty Hawk Coastal Reserve. Thoughts/suggestions??

Thanks in advance!
    during the dog days of summer, I grab my 5-1/2 ft ultra light setup with 6lbs test and have a blast catching Pins, Spots, croakers, pig and the small bait fish in the sound(salt them down and use them for cut bait in the fall), and throw out a few chicken necks for crabs.
    JM76 likes this.

Great info, thank you!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Got back from my first surf fishing experience and I must say it was super fun! I used shrimp (bait shop was out of bloodworms) and caught a fish each time out, I was satisfied with that!
    Mostly little fish (whiting maybe?) Except for one decent redfish. He was maybe 14-15 inches so not a keeper, though the hook was pretty deep. Took me a minute to get it out of there!
    Caught a nice Largemouth in the community pond while I was at it.

I didn't get to kayak fish but I really like surf fishing. I was getting out there at 5:30 almost every morning and fishing as the sun came up. The beach in Corolla is super shallow, and it was pretty rough at times, so that made it challenging. It took me an hour or so to get comfortable with casting that 8 foot rod!

I definitely plan on taking some day trips out to Carolina Beach to surf fish, as it's only an hour and 45 minutes from me.

Got a little video footage while I was out there...
    https://youtu.be/58-m4KzhfwM

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

7. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements